Please help me build

bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
When it comes to building a computer, i doubt i know the bare minimum even. :??:
Can you guys help put one together with my preference? I would like to make a gaming computer 700 or less. The goal is to spend 800 (100 for monitor).
As i said gaming computer, however that should not limit it. Listening to music and other computer functions are needed. My eyes really been on the i5-2500k the most for a processor.
I wanted to buy this but i was told it wasn't a gaming computer which really upset me because its so cheap!
http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=dddwyg1&c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&model_id=inspiron-580
they said i would need to buy a new power wat?, cooling fans and graphic card for it to play the latest games.

bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
thanks for the reply. I'm really looking into it looks cheap too and better equipped. Question, i thought Intel was better than AMD? Or you don't have a choice when your on budget? Also this build contains 380 W power. The dell i believe contains 300. I was told you need 600 to run good graphic cards. What do you think?

bluva

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
thank you k1114! so thats 800 for everything wow! lol I know they're okay now but will an i3 be okay for future games (2013 maybe?) or will i have to change that? I honestly have no problem with AMD as long as it can compete equally to intel's i series.

gametstr

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
The above build looks good. I 'd say get p67 based mobo tho. That way u can upgrade ur CPU later.
if u get an i5 2500K make sure u get a GPU that compliments it well.
Radeon HD69X0 or GTX 570

There's really no difference in h61 and h67 except for sata6 and usb3, none which really matter at this budget or for gaming. Even the cheapest p67 board is $50 more and most people don't upgrade their pcs, especially first time home builders. The i5-2400 is plenty of power to handle much more gpu power so even if he wanted to upgrade, the gpu is the weakest link in this build.

gametstr

Distinguished
May 7, 2011
fair enough..
I agree that the GPU is weak.
I wonder if he wouldn't regret not having usb3, sata6 later..
and especially if its not going to be upgraded shouldn't he get the best possible while he can?