Will the x16 slot in HP Pavilion p6320y Desktop take a double height video card

rolinger

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
I want to replace the video capability of the Pavillion p6320y with a card that also has HDMI output. The card I want to purchase is double height and I was wondering if that will affect my ability to add the card to the x16 slot?

Dick Olinger

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
The case looks like it can take standard profile cards, and looking at the positioning of the PCI-E x16 slot, you should be able to put a double slot card in there (that basically means you can put anything in there). The only thing you will need to worry about is the length of the card as that case looks quite compact, so longer cards (especially some ATI ones) may be a struggle, impossibility to fit in length ways.

The other thing you need to worry about is the PSU, chances are the PSU included will not be enough to handle modern graphics cards unless you get a really weak one that will be as useful to gaming as a chocolate teapot.

rolinger

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
:p Chocolate Teapot??? That gave me a chuckle...
I will look more in-depth at the capability. HP has a site that will show replacement/add on parts that are compliant with the PC I own.

Thanks for the reply and I will check back often.

Dick

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
All i will say is, you will more than likely need to upgrade your power supply. For a single GPU system, you will need no more than a 550W unit. But make sure it's from a good make such as Corsair, Antec or Silverstone.