Sign in with
Your question

Question about AM2/Am2+/Am3 Motherboard!!

Last response: in Motherboards
April 21, 2012 11:00:17 PM

Hello, so i have a question if there is any motherboards that have sockets Am2/Am2+/Am3. And if there is does that mean that all of these sockets are there at once and that if i have a processor that has a Am2+ socket i can later upgrade it to a processor that has Am3 socket without changing the motherboard? Thanks!
a c 435 V Motherboard
April 21, 2012 11:22:22 PM

You have to check the board's webpage for bios file requirements to upgrade the cpu. You may have to flash the bios with your old cpu to use a newer one. Am3+ designation is necessary for bulldozer cores, such as the 4100. Am3 cpus can run with either ddr2 or ddr3, depending on the motherboard chipset. Am3+ can only work with ddr3.
April 21, 2012 11:59:54 PM

o1die said:
You have to check the board's webpage for bios file requirements to upgrade the cpu. You may have to flash the bios with your old cpu to use a newer one. Am3+ designation is necessary for bulldozer cores, such as the 4100. Am3 cpus can run with either ddr2 or ddr3, depending on the motherboard chipset. Am3+ can only work with ddr3.

thanks and one more questions so does that mean if i decide to buy a motherboard with a socket am3, will a CPU with am2+ work on it? and then later on if ill be able to upgrade to a CPu with am3 i wont have to change the motherboard
!