Sign in with
Your question

New build, crashing in games randomly

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2011 8:18:56 AM

I recently built a new system and I have been experiencing a major problem with it, it keeps crashing when playing games. The screen freezes as well as the sound. I ran WhoCrashed and here's what it tells:

This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x71F00) and the following module: hal.dll (hal!HalHandleMcheck+0x256)

Error: INTERNAL_POWER_ERROR
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the power policy manager experienced a fatal error.
This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

I can play 2 hours without a crash or only 10 minutes into a game. Here are my system specs:

Windows 7 Home Edition Premium
ASUS M4A79XTD Evo ATX AM3 790X DDR3 2XPCI-E16
Phenom(tm) II X4 965 Processor BE 3.4 GHz
G.SKILL Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 8GB 2X4GB DDR3-1600
Ati Radeon HD 4870
PSU: Enermax 535W
Antec Three Hundred Mini Tower Gaming Case with 3 120mm fans.

Could I crash because my PSU isn't good enough? Temp case indicated 35C when playing, CPU around 45C and GPU 50C.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
May 8, 2011 8:22:56 AM

Try running your windows 7 cd and repair windows. Sounds like something wasn't installed right and update your drivers.
m
l
May 8, 2011 8:25:45 AM

Ok I will try this out. Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
May 8, 2011 10:56:35 AM

install direct x
m
l
May 8, 2011 4:53:17 PM

When I read the title, my first thought was your PSU isn't cranking out enough juice for your video card.

Do you have another video card that uses less power you can use to test?
m
l
May 9, 2011 6:29:57 AM

The Greater Good said:
When I read the title, my first thought was your PSU isn't cranking out enough juice for your video card.

Do you have another video card that uses less power you can use to test?

Direct X is installed, repairing windows didn't work. I just crashed in a game to a screen with vertical grey lines on the monitor. Could it be the PSU not strong enough for this build? It's the same PSU i used for my old build and didn't have any problems with it (old comp Athlon 64 5200+). Does my new processor require that much more power? Unfortunately I do not have another video card to test but if someone can confirm my PSU is not good enough I will get a 750W.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2011 6:41:17 AM

535W should be more than enough to supply your computer. You shouldn't need 750W to supply your comp. PSUs supposedly lose 10-20% of their efficiency so you could just need a new 500-550W supply.
m
l
May 9, 2011 7:17:11 AM

crewton said:
535W should be more than enough to supply your computer. You shouldn't need 750W to supply your comp. PSUs supposedly lose 10-20% of their efficiency so you could just need a new 500-550W supply.

Oh do they really? My PSU is like 3-4 years old how much time does it take to lose their efficiency? Also since yesterday I've been crashing randomly in windows as well, mouse just locks up, keyboard as well, tbh I am completly lost I've never ran into such problems when building a comp.

One thing I have to add tho, the ram I am using right now is not in dual channel. I have two sticks (8gig total)but one is deffective, I had problems installing programs, kept saying files were corrupt (it failed memtest 20 errors in like 2 min). I took the deffective one out of the computer of course but now that I remember, when i installed windows the faulty ram was in the computer, in DIMM 1. Is it possible that some of my windows file are corrupt?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2011 8:38:43 AM

Possible...could do a full reinstall and see what happens. Can't hurt at this point.
m
l
!