Windows Experience Index + RAM question

Please bear with me, I'm sort of new at this and have never posted here before, although I have gotten lots of good information from browsing the forums (thanks for that!)

So, I recently upgraded from 8 gigs of DDR2 800 RAM, which I bought 3 years ago, to 16 gigs of DDR3 1866 RAM. I know that the Windows Experience Index is not the best metric to use as far as quality goes, but my old memory registered a 7.4, while my new memory only registers a 7.5. I'm wondering why? And if there's something I need to do to make it register higher (short of overclocking it)?

For the record, the new memory thus far is running at 1600, not the max of 1866 - my mobo automatically set it there and I haven't changed it yet.
7 answers Last reply
More about windows experience index question
  1. I believe that WEI measures memory bandwidth. The older PII processors can only supply about 13Gb/s. My 2600K has an onboard memory controller and supplies closer to 18Gb/s. Therefore my 8GB of DDR3 1600 scores a 7.8 WEI.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/20188/5

Actually I'm on my laptop right now but if I remember correctly running Maxxmem my 2600K scores closer to 20Gb/s. I think the 18Gb/s score is with DDR3 1333.

http://www.maxxpi.net/pages/downloads/maxxmemsup2---preview.php
  2. Yeah ^ 16gb @ 1600mhz with 2500k currently at 7.8. It's not your Ram, it's your memory controller module.
  3. I'll go ahead and show my noobiness here - what does that mean? Is it a software issue, and I need to update drivers or somesuch? Or is a hardware feature and I need to upgrade something to improve it?
  4. No it's a hardware thing. Sandy Bridge is a newer and superior design to the older Phenom II architecture. If you want a higher score then you would need to change your motherboard and CPU.
  5. D'oh. Well, that's not going to happen anytime soon, as this WAS my upgrade, from an old Athlon64 model. Ah well, thanks for the info anyway! I'm sure I can make do for quite some time with a 7.5. :)
  6. Yeah WEI is not a very good benchmark. Certainly nothing to get hung up on. Your Phenom II 965 is a fine chip.
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory RAM Product