Gaming system (budget) needs approval from the experiened

rocko316gtr

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: (putting the components together now)

Budget Range: (1000euro or less free would be better.....)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: ( 3D, gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies)

Parts Not Required: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (dabs, komplett)

Country of Origin: (ireland)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type(would like to stick to amd/ati for performace vs cost ) this is what i am thinking so far

Corsair Memory 4GB (2 x 2GB) Vengeance DDR3 2000MHz DIMM 240-Pin CL10

€69.28

Western Digital 1TB Caviar Black 3.5" SATA6GB/S 7200rpm 64M

€72.76

Samsung 12x BD-ROM/DVDRW Lightscribe SATA

€54.11

Corsair Memory Hydro h70

€86.03

CoolerMaster SILENT PRO 600W MODULAR PSU

€84.04

Gigabyte AM3 AMD 870 DDR3 ATX

€87.71

AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz

€128.63

Asus ATI Radeon 6950 HD 810MHz 2GB

€226.47

XIGMATEK Pantheon Chassis

€89.55

Delivery

€20.41
Total (inc VAT)€1,135.63

all parts sourced from dabs.ie

Overclocking: Maybe not straight away but something i want to learn more about and do when i feel comfortable

Crossfire: not now think the card i picked will do for a while but maybe in the future

Monitor Resolution: (already have a 3d capable monitor)

Additional Comments

i know there are better products out there but the price does not agree with my wallet also i dont have the best selection in ireland and i get screwed with shipping if i try outside irl

i am not set on the components some of them are unbeatable price v performance but i am open to sugestions

would like to see what experienced rig builders think. also at the current time would i be better waiting for new tech to be released

Martin9630

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
I think the Caviar Blacks are complete rip-offs, not worth the money. And right now I would not go with AMD, as they are in the middle of releasing AM3+, the CPU is okay, but maybe surf around the net and look for some AM3+ boards, there are a few that are already out by ASRock and Gigabyte.

rocko316gtr

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2011

thanks for the reply i have seen am3+ out there quiet expensive, designed for more power and geared for hyperthreading and also the bulldozer cpu i think but if i went with amd 965 black the am3 would be fine.

I chose the caviar black because it took me as close to ssd (1tb) without the price and yes iv seen the spinpoint but it has half the buffer and no trim support

the psu's you selected are not modular.. pickey i know but somthing i see as must have

YES was planning on flashing the 6950 to 6970 have looked into it reckon i could manage it
also the gpu(saph) you picked are lacking a full 1gb of gddr5 and 10 mhz clock speed with a 10 euro difference in price??????

the vengence ram you dont like!! thought i was on a winner there 2000mhz CL10(i know CL10) and low volts of 1.5 can easily be tightened up and for 70 quid

i can get items from uk but the shipping is cost can be steep and if i get a few differ pieces say 4 items im lookin between 15 and 20 quid per item

I have been talking to another member the past few days he is an nitel fan trying to convert me...........kinda worked currently at a fork in the road
would you like to take a peek at my intel mock up

If you don't plan to flash it to a HD 6970 the ones with custom cooler are more silent and cool. The extra 1GB of RAM doesn't help unless you play at more than 1920x1080.

The F3 is better:
http://techreport.com/articles.x/19330/1

PSU
Antec TruePower New 750W (semi-modular)
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=140
Corsair Memory HX Series 650

but that CM should be fine.

That RAM has big timings but if you can get them lower you can get that. It's kinda tall too so make sure it doesn't interfere with the HSF.

If you can't get the AM3+ socket mobo get Intel.