How to change CMOS battery in Vaio R505 aka R600 ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2005 6:09:54 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

My laptop forgets the date and tme when it is turned off. Can anybody tell
me how to replace the CMOS battery? Can't find anything on the web. It's a
Sony Vaio R600HMP (UK model) and I believe the US model number is R505.

Thanks,

Fred.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2005 10:15:44 AM

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My laptop forgets the date and tme when it is turned off. Can anybody tell
> me how to replace the CMOS battery? Can't find anything on the web. It's a
> Sony Vaio R600HMP (UK model) and I believe the US model number is R505.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred.

look underneath and unscrew any or all removable panels...........do you see
a/the battery..............if not then its a service replacement only
(soldered in)

gomma
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2005 2:57:47 PM

On Sat, 14 May 2005 02:09:54 +0100, "Fred Finisterre"
<finisterre@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>My laptop forgets the date and tme when it is turned off. Can anybody tell
>me how to replace the CMOS battery? Can't find anything on the web. It's a
>Sony Vaio R600HMP (UK model) and I believe the US model number is R505.
>
>Thanks,

If it's anything like the previous Z model, you have to disassemble
the whole thing. U need to be comfortable with tiny tools and
micro-connectors with surgeon hands (no drinking that day!). OR u can
give it to Best Buys to do it for u for $50-$100 bux.

Google for disassembly instructions.
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2005 2:59:33 PM

Oh, if you are ALWAYS connected to the net, the cheaper way maybe one
of those utility that keeps u synchronized with an external time site.
XP people should have this enabled auto.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2005 3:35:14 PM

Fred Finisterre wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My laptop forgets the date and tme when it is turned off. Can anybody
> tell me how to replace the CMOS battery? Can't find anything on the
> web. It's a Sony Vaio R600HMP (UK model) and I believe the US model
> number is R505.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Fred.

Your certainly trying your best on the net are ya not? :-)

look under the Laptop and have a look for holes marked 'K' keyboard(not
always the case, forgive the pun) unscrew and remove the keyboard, if ya
can't see it anywhere under the KB then it's as been suggested not user
replaceable.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 14, 2005 10:27:01 PM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

"Fred Finisterre" <finisterre@gmail.com> wrote in message
| Hi,
|
| My laptop forgets the date and tme when it is turned off. Can anybody tell
| me how to replace the CMOS battery? Can't find anything on the web. It's a
| Sony Vaio R600HMP (UK model) and I believe the US model number is R505.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Fred.

Hi Fred -

It's been a while since I had a R505. But I seem to recall that the CMOS
battery is beneath the palmrests.

There are a number of screws on the bottom of the computer with arrows
pointing at them. Remove power and the battery. Close the screen. I think
there are four or five screws immediately below the palmrest that need to be
removed. Take care to note which screw goes where, as they may not all be
the same length. Once the screws are out, carefully turn the computer over
and open the screen. Gently lift the palmrest and touchpad over onto the
keyboard, taking care not to damage or dislodge the cable connecting the
touchpad.

If it's not there, it's under the keyboard (forgive my failing memory ..
I've given you my best recollection first). The keyboard is removed by a
single screw at the center of the computer, adjacent to the battery. Same
procedure and precautions as before. Fold the keyboard over onto the
palmrest, taking care not to damage or dislodge the cable.

The CMOS battery is readily replaceable. It is socketed.

I'm in the United States, but the following link, including Sony's part
number (1-756-038-21), should give you some idea what you're looking for:
http://www.impactcomputers.com/1-756-038-21.html

Hope this helps you.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 15, 2005 6:16:12 AM

Archived from groups: uk.comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> I'm in the United States, but the following link, including Sony's
> part number (1-756-038-21), should give you some idea what you're
> looking for: http://www.impactcomputers.com/1-756-038-21.html
>
> Hope this helps you.
>
> Jef

Thanks Jef and others. Looking at the picture in the URL above helped me
spot it, and I've swapped it with the same part from my broken old R600HEK
(slightly different internal layout but battery in same place). My R600HMP
is now working properly.

Cheers,

Fred.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 16, 2005 1:02:12 PM

On the R505 series its accessible by pulling the palmrest and keyboard
off the unit. Green plastic sleeved cells with a two lead plug in
going to the board.
!