Ready to build need expert advice.

Grosolan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
I'm going for a new PC and have picked some of the parts I think will work well together.It's a budget gaming PC:

Phenom II x4 955 3,20 GHz processor black edition

Motherboard ASUS M4N68T-M LE V2 weak part of the rig ,Cons:2000 mhz FSB,not sure how well it works with the CPU.Pros:lot of bang for the bucks ,nforce chipset,I think it works well with nvidia VGA's.If you can think of a better one in this price range or even a little more expensive please teach.

Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 460 Direct CU Top edition 1GB DDR5 256 bit V2-this one is a keeper.

Corsair ram 1333 4gigs of it.

Also I understand that there is a possibility that you can't unlock all the CPU cores can someone explain that and if possible show me how that can be avoided.
Thank you in advance.

Martin9630

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2011
CPU core unlocking sometimes comes down to luck, I've seen some people unlock all cores successfully, and some...well none. I'm pretty sure the X4 955 has no cores that are disabled, if you would like to take a gamble, go with the X2 555 and unlock it.

At the moment I would not go with AMD as they are in the middle of releasing their AM3+ CPUs and Chipsets. Try find a motherboard that supports AM3+ therefore it will be more future-proof. But if this build is intended for 'it can do' gaming purpose, I think it should be fine.

Grosolan

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
Thank you for the answers but AM3+ mobo's are out of the price range at this time so I'll have to stick with this one or a similar one.
Another issue I have with it is the 2000 Mhz FSB as opposed to most mobo's that have 5200,do you think I will see a big drop in performance because of this?

TRENDING THREADS