Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Heat Problem

Last response: in Systems
Share
May 8, 2011 3:20:42 PM

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 925, not OC'd, stock cooler.
GPU: AMD Radeon Sapphire 5750 1GB, not OC'd, stock cooler.
Casing: CM Elite 370 w/front, back, and bottom fan.

Recently I cleaned up my PC after a long time, changed the thermal paste and dusts. I did the usual method I used, but encountered a few new situation. Then I used HWMonitor to see my temps, and it increased of the usual amount I used to see (last I checked was one month ago) from the usual 45C-60C(CPU & GPU), idles around 48C. Now, it goes from 55C-58C(CPU & GPU) on idle and on load, games especially, around 68C (GPU) and sometimes peak to 75C(CPU)

I'm quite worried about what I did might have an effect, but one other thing worth mentioning is - it's damn hot here. I think from the usual 33C, now it is around 43C. Will it have an effect to the PC temp?

Here's what I did during my cleaning process:

1. I'm using a stock cooler on my Phenom and when I checked there's excess thermal paste in between the fins. So what I did was, used a small test pen to remove it by flicking it. Then I used a normal tissue to remove the other paste. On the CPU die, I did the same thing also. Used Arctic MX2 thermal paste.

2. On the GPU side, for the first time I opened the cooler and removed all the dust collected, hell - there was a lot. I also removed the old thermal paste and replace it with Arctic MX2. Cleaned the die until it was sparkling using tissue.

More about : heat problem

May 8, 2011 3:36:46 PM

The temps should settle down a little when the thermal paste sets but this is only by a couple of degrees.
There is a large debate over how much thermal paste should be applied to the CPU/cooler.
In my experience (Technician at a pc repair company) using as little as possible is best.
As too much can cause temps to be higher and having thermal paste on your motherboard is not good.
I hope this helped :) 
m
0
l
May 8, 2011 4:03:04 PM

alexinnes said:
The temps should settle down a little when the thermal paste sets but this is only by a couple of degrees.
There is a large debate over how much thermal paste should be applied to the CPU/cooler.
In my experience (Technician at a pc repair company) using as little as possible is best.
As too much can cause temps to be higher and having thermal paste on your motherboard is not good.
I hope this helped :) 

I'm not so sure how much is little, but I followed the manual in the web, I put a tiny spurt on the middle of the die, and then continue to paste the two things together. Should I open it up and remove some?
m
0
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
May 8, 2011 8:21:41 PM

servarus said:
but one other thing worth mentioning is - it's damn hot here. I think from the usual 33C, now it is around 43C. Will it have an effect to the PC temp?

Yes, your inside temps will effect the temps in your PC. That can have more impact than how much paste you have...
m
0
l
May 9, 2011 6:41:30 AM

ridinon0$ said:
Yes, your inside temps will effect the temps in your PC. That can have more impact than how much paste you have...

Really? That's my room temp. Outside my house is freaking hot... I'd say almost 50C.
m
0
l
!