Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I say PSP selling for $500 is BULLSHIT. more like $250 ~ $300

but anyway.....

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/09/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

PlayStation Portable for $500?

Atari CEO Bonnell predicts high initial price tag for forthcoming
handheld.
June 9, 2004: 5:29 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - It's astonishing how far a slick design and
some pre-rendered footage can boost a product's buzz -- even when
there are few, if any, real details available.

Last month, Sony showed the world the PSP. Sometimes known as the
PlayStation Portable, this all-in-one media device quickly became one
of the must-see items at E3. Plenty of people vowed to buy one when it
went on sale in the U.S. next year and some overly optimistic folks
declared Nintendo's Game Boy to be destined for extinction. Basically,
it quickly reached a critical mass of fan boys.

Atari CEO Bruno Bonnell is not one of them, however. While he said he
sees the promise of the device and looks forward to having his company
make games for it, he believes Sony is doing a poor job of positioning
the machine.

"We saw pictures and a nice prototype at E3, but I want to see more,"
Bonnell said at a Piper Jaffrey consumer conference Wednesday. "Yeah,
it's cool. It's nice, like a nice car. But we have no idea if the
PSP's pricing is going to be $250, $350 or $500.

"What about the breakable aspects of it? If it breaks, can you bring
it back and get another one for free? What about the movie strategy?
The wireless strategy? The MP3 downloading? We don't know. What about
the connectivity issues? We don't know. What about the video output?
We don't know."

Boasting roughly the same graphical quality as the PlayStation2, the
handheld PSP will play movies and digital music in addition to games.
Sony has referred to the device as the interactive Walkman of the 21st
Century.

Bonnell later said he expects initial pricing on the PSP to be at the
high end of the scale. "$500 to start would be my guess."

The PSP's sleek design won kudos, but Sony has refused to give a
retail price.
That estimate is significantly higher than those made by other game
publishers. In January, for example, Electronic Arts CEO Larry Probst
predicted a range of $199-$249. Analysts, meanwhile, are expecting a
price somewhere between the dueling estimates.

"I think $500 is aggressive," said P.J. McNealy, an analyst with
American Technology Research. "I think it's going to be in the
$299-$349 range. Keep in mind that [Sony Computer Entertainment
president and CEO Ken] Kutaragi has maintained that they want to break
even on the hardware."

Other publishing executives on the panel, which looked at trends in
the video game sector, were not quite as critical of Sony, but did
express concern. THQ CEO Brian Farrell acknowledged his company (the
largest independent developer of handheld games) has not yet received
any development hardware for the PSP.

"It's a very compelling opportunity for the consumer in some ways, but
we'd like to see how it's positioned," he said.

With details about the machine's functionality still under wraps,
publishers are also unsure about how much it will cost to build games
for the PSP. Farrell speculated that THQ (THQI: Research, Estimates)
will spend somewhere between $1 million and $2 million to create a
game for the PSP. Bonnell said there's no way to accurately predict
costs at this point.

"Development costs? From one cent to $50 million. I have no idea. I
mean, it might be that 'Pong' is cool on the PSP," he said, referring
to industry's first success story. "Pong doesn't cost us anything.
We're Atari (ATAR: Research, Estimates)! We have Pong! Let's make it!"

By this point, obviously, Bonnell was having some fun at Sony's
expense. But his criticisms aren't without merit.

The PSP is certainly an impressive looking device -- and it has loads
of potential. But so far, that's all it has. We have yet to see any
game running on the system in real time. (All demos have simply been
footage of titles under development.) Sony's claims about the device's
battery life are being met with strong skepticism, given all of the
moving parts on a PSP. And the lack of developer kits has some
observers worried that Sony (SNE: Research, Estimates) may not be able
to meet its planned U.S. launch date by the end of March.

No developer is willing to ignore the PSP, though. EA (ERTS: Research,
Estimates) has vowed to have four games ready at the system's launch.
Take Two (TTWO: Research, Estimates) is currently working on two PSP
titles.

That's smart business -- as the PlayStation fan base looks all set to
embrace the PSP. But I suspect even that collection of loyal Sony
customers is getting a little antsy about the lack of hard information
about the system.

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 R420 <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote:

> but anyway.....

> http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/09/commentary/game_over/column_gaming/index.htm

> PlayStation Portable for $500?
>
> Atari CEO Bonnell predicts high initial price tag for forthcoming
> handheld.

Why does anyone care what the CEO of another company says about the price
of the PSP?

Then there's the fact it's the CEO of Atari...

Why don't we ask the head custodian at the Sony Metreon about his opinions
about the PSP? At least they'd be talking to someone who's employed by
Sony...

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sony,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.sony-playstation,alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance (More info?)

I don't see anyway it is going to be as high as $500...$300 max.