SLI noob, please help!

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Alright so I am the proud owner of a second GTX 470. I wanted to get a second one before they started disappearing, and I found a used one on Ebay for a reasonable price. My reasoning was there are a LOT of good games coming out this year that I want to be able to run, most notably BF3 and Elder Scrolls Skyrim.

So, I have got both cards installed, power cables plugged in, SLI bridge installed, and SLI enabled in the NVIDIA control panel. But now what?

I have read on different sites that there are "SLI profiles" for different games? What are those and how do I get them? Is that just referring to the different profiles you can edit in the NVIDIA control panel?

Also I have a second SLI bridge. Is there any point to having both of them connected?

Thanks!

Solution

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

The profiles are integrated into the drivers automatically, however there is a area where you can make and edit your own if you find a game is not working well in SLI, or if you want to force SLI on a game that doesn't typically support it. For more info go here:
http://www.slizone.com/page/slizone_appprofile.html

Solution

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
Alright cool. Thanks for the replies!

In the NVIDIA control panel, is there a way for me to make it so certain games don't run in SLI mode? Most of the games I play don't really need the extra graphics power right now, so I would rather save some power and produce less heat.

Another option I have been tinkering with is lowering the speed/voltage of each card to their bare minimum, and then playing games using SLI with those settings so that I save some power and produce less heat. Has anyone had success with this? I have only experimented with one benchmark (Just Cause 2), but I was seeing ~0% SLI scaling when running the cards at their lowest speeds. When I have the cards running at stock speeds, I am seeing anywhere from 75-100% scaling. Has anyone else tried this?

:|

I still remember options in the older drivers that have been gone for ages that defined which mode you wanted to run for any particular game. If you want SFR (split frame rendering) or AFR(alternate frame rendering) which is most common now days but there were often differences in performance compared the two. SFR had the work done in real time on both cards for every frame rendered and joined together by the main card. AFR has each card complete from start to finish a odd or even frame before it is sequenced together and sent out from the main card. SFR is limited to two way and is a personal choice in two way sli but AFR is more or less the default now -_- which allows for up to 4 gpus to render frames in groups of two or individually before sequenced and sent out the main card. Surround changed AFR a bit.

In short you will likely be using AFR in most games unless Nvidia has SFR set for some games depending on system configuration.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009
I see. I guess I can probably google each game to see what kind of profile settings people are using for SLI, but I'm guessing NVIDIA has done a pretty good job with their drivers already.

I still want to play around with underclocking my cards and running them in SLI though. It will be a while before BF3 comes out :(

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

Nice system. I've got my 2 470's, an i5 750 w/ a small oc, 4 gig RAM, and a 1TB hdd. Storage is where I wish I would have spent more with my build, but maybe ssd prices will come down...

It's hard to gauge what kind of hardware will be needed for TES V. Personally, I haven't been overly impressed with what has been shown so far in screenshots and video, but I know that's coming from the xbox version. Here's to hoping that pc gets a proper visual boost :bounce:

Just wait for mods to come out a few weeks once the game hits the market :)
My system is a little on the low end these days. ddr2 ram lol. I am going to get a lot of use out of this machine though. I upgrade my main rigs over time. The ssd is for swap file only.

touchdowntexas13

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2009

I wish the GTX 460 had come out just a little bit sooner. Thats a really great card, and I especially like the fact that it doesn't run as hot as a 470, and it can have the same performance if you overclock it. I called EVGA and asked if I could "step up" from a single 470 to two 460's, but it was a no go. sigh...