Sign in with
Your question
Solved

[AMD] How to test CPU (especially IMC) and can CPU damage RAM ?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
August 5, 2011 11:34:40 AM

I some months ago built a gaming rig which was initially a budget machine and then I replaced almost everything beside CPU to convert it into gaming rig; during this I started getting BSODs (once a day in start and then it remains stable for that day).

Here I am trying to give as much detail as possible about my build so don't mind and skip it if you want. The replacment process was:

-- Bought a budget machine with a Phenom II X6 1090T CPU, 4GB DDR3 1333MHz and cheap 750W WinPower PSU
-- Was facing system powering issue with that PSU thus replaced it with Thermaltake XT 775W
-- Then bought Radeon 5770 Vapor-X; which I replaced with Radeon 6970 2GB with-in a month
-- Due to that size of 6970, I had to replace my casing (from normal cheap one to CM 690-II Advanced)
-- Then found that the motherboard (GA-880GM-UD2H) has very very bad layout thus covering 3 out of 5 SATA ports _and_ remaining 2-ports when plugged-in was pushing graphics-card to a side
-- Replaced motherboard (with Asus M4A89GTD Pro) and then I started getting BSODs
-- I thought its RAM thus I changed my RAM (from Mushkin enhanced 1333MHz to G.Skill 1600MHz 7-8-7-24 4x2GB modules)
-- Also bought CPU cooler CM V6GT and played with some overclocking
-- After lot of troubleshooting (including memtest86+ where I found one issue with RAM but later memtest86+ tests where fine) I found that the motherboard has issues thus I returned it; and bought new one (GA-990FXA-UD3)

-- With new motherboard system was fine for 5-days then when I start playing game (Crysis) on this fully replaced system (beside CPU); I faced some random application crashing, game lockups (pressing ctrl+alt+del recovers my system but game crashes) and occasional BSODs with SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION and poiting towards MEMORY

-- I tested everything like my overclocking, RAM settings, when to everything stock and then did RAM settings manually. 2-days ago I again did memtest86+ v4.20 on my individual RAM modules in different slots _and_ found that one of my RAM module is faulty (have some bit-errors in different locations); yesterday I replaced that one with new one and in 7-passes of memtest86+ that new RAM is fine

-- So last night I plugged-in all my RAM modules (4x2GB) and was assuming that my system will work perfectly fine now. BUT while loading Crysis after giving some load on system/RAM (like running Chrome-Browser (15 tab pages), firefox (with 15 or so pages) and some random applications including Prime95 blend for 15-mintues); I _again_ _got_ _one_ _process_ _crash_ error "Activation Process crash or something similar) and then game started and was played for 30-mins without any issues (altougth was facing some hangs for split-second occasionally which was not present before).

Now my questions is: Why I got that application crash issue again ? How-to TEST CPU's full functionality especially Internal Memory Controller (IMC) ? And is this CPU is damanging my RAM ? Because now if this crash thing is present then seems like its due to CPU because thats the only thing left in my system since day-one of building this machine.

It will be good if I can get some suggestions soon.

Thanks in advance,

P.S. I will monitor for further issues and will report _but_ now I am really annoyed. I already spent 80% of my system-usage-time in past couple of months in fixing hardware rather than doing some gaming/software stuff on it.

My current system config is:

Motherboard - GA-990FXA-UD3
CPU - Phenom II X6 1090T CPU @ Stock; Cooler is: Coolermaster V6GT CPU cooler
RAM - 4 x 2GB G.Skill 1600MHz DDR3 7-8-7-24 @1.61v
GPU - Asus Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5
Storage - 500GB WD 7200rpm (16MB cache) and 1TB WD 5400rpm (64MB cache)
Case - Coolermaster CM-690 II Advanced
PSU - Thermaltake XT-775W
Monitor - AOC 2436Vwa (1080p, 60Hz)
a c 900 à CPUs
August 5, 2011 12:03:32 PM

You might have to bump up your ram voltage (especially since you have 4 sticks) a couple of notches do it in 0.05V increments up to max about 0.2volts over std and see if the issue disappears.
m
l
August 5, 2011 12:11:58 PM

rolli59 said:
You might have to bump up your ram voltage (especially since you have 4 sticks) a couple of notches do it in 0.05V increments up to max about 0.2volts over std and see if the issue disappears.

I already set my ram 0.1v above the rated which is 1.6v and I am using 1.61v. Although on G.Skill forum I posted this some weeks ago and got response that 1.65v is also safe to set. I will try increasing this a bit more like up-to 1.62v.

Also I noted another thing that in my BIOS System Health Status page; RAM voltage is 1.596v (not 1.61v which I set). So is this can be a issue ? Like my motherboard is not providing enough voltage to RAM ?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 900 à CPUs
August 5, 2011 12:26:44 PM

Settings and readings always have a little difference, your ram should be able to handle up to about 1.8 volts without trouble. I would set it at 1.65 then test try again if still not fixed with 1.7 and so on.
August 5, 2011 12:35:54 PM

Thanks for replying quickly.

Will try this asap when reach home from job. Also how-to check maximum voltage settings for my DDR3 ? I am afraid of increasing voltage too much.
m
l
August 7, 2011 11:06:15 AM

rolli59 said:
Settings and readings always have a little difference, your ram should be able to handle up to about 1.8 volts without trouble. I would set it at 1.65 then test try again if still not fixed with 1.7 and so on.

This helped me a lot. From past 2-days I haven't saw any application or system crash, and just have to increase it 1.63v and seems good.

Thanks
m
l
August 7, 2011 11:06:46 AM

Best answer selected by fslateef.
m
l
!