Sign in with
Your question

2nd processor wont boot hp

Last response: in CPUs
August 5, 2011 12:28:14 PM

Hello,
I have HP Z600 Workstation running well with a single Xeon Processor 5600 (socket 0). (http://tinyurl.com/myHPz600) When I add another Xeon Processor 5600 (socket 1) to make it a dual Processor Workstation it does not boot or get to the BIOS Screen.

When I remove the processor after testing it feels warm so I know power is getting to it.

Things I have tried:

Tested the 2nd Processor in socket 0 (works with only 1 processor installed)

Tested the heatsink/fan in socket 0 (works)

Upgraded the Bios Reset the CMOS booting in Linux & windows 7

I have not touched the Jumpers.
I have not increased the 650 watts Power supply

I have noticed a very small defect on 2 pins on the processor socket. I have not attempted the bend them back!

Any help on this would great - I'm pulling my hair out!
a b à CPUs
August 5, 2011 12:39:24 PM

A picture would work wonders in this regard - for us to see the "defect" on the processor socket. If it is bent, you can totally destroy your CPU, motherboard and everything.
August 5, 2011 12:49:14 PM

Yeah it really depends on what this small defect is. get a pic uploaded if possible
Related resources
August 5, 2011 1:06:50 PM

Hey guys, Wow thanks for the fast reply.

I am away from my workstation now but I can upload a close up of the CPU socket in about 4 hours.

Thanks for your help.
August 5, 2011 1:16:21 PM

Part of the service lol. Ok matey
August 5, 2011 1:23:54 PM

I assume the CPUs are identical? Not vital, but you may not always get a 5520 chipset booting with two different models.

Another thing that you didn't mention was if you are booting with memory installed for both CPUs.
August 5, 2011 1:36:41 PM

Hi,

Yes, both are 5620 Xeon 2.44.

Each processor sockets has 3 dedicated ram slots - thinking it could be bad ram, I have tried booting with only 1 ram stick - then 1 stick in each (made by the same manufacturer).
August 5, 2011 1:51:32 PM

I forgot to say, the Heatsinks are different in each sockets.

Socket 0 - Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (tested and working)
Socket 1 - OME HP heatsink and fan (tested and working)

I guess it would'nt need to draw more Watts from the power supply if the fan is different?
August 5, 2011 5:43:46 PM

Hi, I hope the images are clear enough. I also added the full shot of the motherboard just incase.

Thanks for your help

August 5, 2011 6:33:43 PM

Maro shot:
August 6, 2011 10:46:40 AM

A quick update -
I changed the ram over to another brand - Changed my quadro 600 card back to a default Quadro nvs 290. - started up the machine - held down f8 - the pc went to bios this time - selected Hardrive - said the hardware had changed and booted to windows! Cool - But before I had chance to checkout how many cores were running in task manager it said found new drivers and asked for a restart. Thinking it was just a ram issue I just clicked restart!

On restart the fans started on full speed and no bois this time! Back to square one! The Harddrive sounds like its running and loading the os but screen is blank!!!

August 27, 2011 1:46:05 PM

:hello:  Toxxyc and dhicks19 I have uploaded the images.

I'm stil running on 1 processor! Does anyone know where I can go from here?
a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 5:06:44 AM

A new motherboard is all I can think of. General rule is when something is bent/broken, it's not worth replacing. I don't know about server components though, take the motherboard to a reputable repair shop and let them take a look. If they can do something as simple as bend it back, you'll be lucky enough to keep it.
August 29, 2011 10:33:50 AM

Thanks very much for your help. I will take it to my local repair shop, or does anyone know a good place in Sussex, England?

a b à CPUs
August 29, 2011 11:07:53 AM

No idea. I'm in South Africa... :D 
September 23, 2011 5:18:39 AM

Hello, did you resolve this issue ? I am having the same problem.
December 13, 2013 7:31:46 AM

Markos1 said:
Hello,
I have HP Z600 Workstation running well with a single Xeon Processor 5600 (socket 0). (http://tinyurl.com/myHPz600) When I add another Xeon Processor 5600 (socket 1) to make it a dual Processor Workstation it does not boot or get to the BIOS Screen.

When I remove the processor after testing it feels warm so I know power is getting to it.

Things I have tried:

Tested the 2nd Processor in socket 0 (works with only 1 processor installed)

Tested the heatsink/fan in socket 0 (works)

Upgraded the Bios Reset the CMOS booting in Linux & windows 7

I have not touched the Jumpers.
I have not increased the 650 watts Power supply

I have noticed a very small defect on 2 pins on the processor socket. I have not attempted the bend them back!

Any help on this would great - I'm pulling my hair out!

I am having tha exact same problem. But I can confirm that there is actually nothing (physically) wrong with my second
CPU socket. This is why:

I have two E5530 xeon cpus and the Z600 works fine, but I also have two X5660 and if I insert more than one
of them the system stops booting. Resulting only the case fans blowing with maximum speed.

Both X5660 processors work fine if installed alone.

I have latest bios installed.
!