Sign in with
Your question

I need help making my PC quieter :(

Last response: in Systems
May 8, 2011 8:18:35 PM

Hello everyone. First time post on tomshardware.com so I hope I can seek some valuable advice. My friend and I built this PC back in June and it is a powerful little machine. Thing is it's REALLY loud. I recently replaced the default thermaltake fans with 2 120mm Noctua NF-S12B's on Ultra Low Noise Adapter pins and it's helped a little bit. They are indeed quite quieter than the last ones I had, but the computer is still loud. I believe the CPU Heatsink is what's causing all the noise, but im not too sure. I'll post the hardware in the computer and maybe you guys can help me in regards to what steps I should take to make it quiet. Thanks in advance!

EDIT: I just did a small test of stopping each individual fan to see which was causing the most noise and to no surprise it was the Heatsink. Based on my motherboard and the amount of room left in my case, which heatsink do you suggest I get that will quietly and smoothly operate with my PC? Thanks alot!

VL8000 Series Thermaltake V3 Black Edition

ASUS M4N68T-M Motherboard

OCZ Stealth X Stream 2 700W Power Supply

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Multi-Core Processor 2.80GHZ

GeForce GTX 295 Co-op Edition Graphics Card

4GB XMS3 DDR3 Corsair Ram

2TB Western Digital Internal Hard Drive

2x 120 MM Noctua NF-S12B Fans

I've also included some pictures on what the case currently looks like.

Thanks for all your help!

More about : making quieter

May 8, 2011 8:55:44 PM

Well some cable management would improve your case airflow and might allow you to turn the fans down a bit, lowering the noise.

Are any of your case fans plugged into the motherboard for fan speed control?
m
l
May 8, 2011 9:01:10 PM

Hey there, thanks for the response.
Yeah i've always gotten confused over my cable management :p  I've got a few twist ties in there, but other than that im not too sure how to approac that. Uhm the rear noctua fan is plugged into the motherboard, but im not sure how to adjust the fan speed. Only thing i've done is use the Ultra Low Noise Adapter that came with the fans.

m
l
May 8, 2011 11:25:32 PM

Quote:
1.) Invest in a decent case that has good cable management options, a coolermaster 922/932/942 would do you wonders! (all cases I use in my builds have great cable management) not only do many of these cases have great cable management but many also have rubber grommets to absorb vibrations from power supply,hard drives and sometimes optical drives as well.

http://www.totalpowerpc.com/index.html

2.) Eliminate IDE/Floppy cables. Between SATA and USB you should be fine.

3.) Consider a low cost liquid cooling system such as Corsair H60 and swap out the fan for it with a Scythe Gentle Typhoon or something quiet that moves alot of air (high cfm) with under 30 dBA. Also replace any other case fans with under 25 dBA

4.) The only other part that can possibly make alot of noise is a graphics card fan when it really spins up to try to expel heat. Invest in a cooler and quieter graphics card such as MSI Twin Frozr II/III 460/560 or MSI Twin Frozr II/III 6870/6950.

Hmm... Yeah the case was on sale for around 30 bucks so we decided to pick it up. It's got a decent amount of room, but im not sure if I can fit a larger CPU heatsink on the motherboard.
As well the fans I have are amazing, I don't exactly want to switch them out cause they do the job . Thanks though, i'll consider the liquid cooling system.
Also, the GTX 295's fan isn't that noticable at all, it's quite quiet and I got it at quite a good deal. It's still a very powerful card and I plan on keeping it for a while. I've noticed the Heatsink is the one causing all the noise. So with the room available for my case what quiet heatsink do you recommend getting? Thanks!
m
l
!