Nintendo Trademarks Potential DS Names

Last response: in Video Games
June 10, 2004 6:12:51 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1610115,00.asp

By David Smith
6/10/2004

In one of the more amusing updates to the Japanese patent and
trademark database (reported lately by Quiter), Nintendo has submitted
trademark applications for some nine total sets of three initials. In
each case, two of the intials are G and B -- standing for Game and
Boy, of course -- while the third varies.
The selection suggests that Nintendo is trademarking some of its
proposed names for the dual-screened DS handheld, since it's generally
assumed that "Nintendo DS" is only a working designation for the
hardware. Alternatively, if you're of a conspiratorial mind, Nintendo
has already settled on a name, and it's submitting multiple trademark
applications to camouflage its choice.

The initialisms, the applications for which all went in on March 19,
are as follows:

DGB
EGB
GBD
GBE
GBN
GBY
TGB
WGB
XGB

For fun, try coming up with the names that might be compressed down
into those initials -- "DGB" might be "Dual Game Boy," while "XGB"
might be "Game Boy XTREME~!" In the meantime, we'll continue to bring
any and all updates on the progress of the DS project.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 6:57:08 AM

On 10 Jun 2004 14:12:51 -0700, radeonr420@yahoo.com (R420) wrote:

>or fun, try coming up with the names that might be compressed down
>into those initials -- "DGB" might be "Dual Game Boy,"

GBD - I like Game Boy Dual.
Anonymous
June 11, 2004 12:12:30 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

> DGB

Digital Game Boy
DualScreen Game Boy
D@mn Good Buy

> EGB

Extreme Game Boy
Extra Game Boy
Enjoy Genuine Budweiser

> GBD

Game Boy Dual
Game Boy Digital

> GBE

Game Boy Extreme
Gross Bananas Everywhere
Game Boy Experience

> GBN

Game Boy Nuclear
Game Boy Nasty
Girl Bare Naked

> GBY

Game BoY
Game Boy Yokel

> TGB

*The* Game Boy
This Game Bites
This Game Blows
Totally Game Boy

> WGB

We Grab Bucks
Wicked Game Boy
Wireless Game Boy

> XGB

X-treme Game Boy
X-Rated Games are Beautiful

Chris
Related resources
June 14, 2004 7:42:57 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.nintendo.gameboy.advance,alt.games.video.nintendo.gamecube,rec.games.video.nintendo (More info?)

I know! how bout AGB for Advanced Gameboy
Im gonna send nintendo an email right now...pure genius.

R420" <radeonr420@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://www.1up.com/article2/0,2053,1610115,00.asp
>
> By David Smith
> 6/10/2004
>
> In one of the more amusing updates to the Japanese patent and
> trademark database (reported lately by Quiter), Nintendo has submitted
> trademark applications for some nine total sets of three initials. In
> each case, two of the intials are G and B -- standing for Game and
> Boy, of course -- while the third varies.
> The selection suggests that Nintendo is trademarking some of its
> proposed names for the dual-screened DS handheld, since it's generally
> assumed that "Nintendo DS" is only a working designation for the
> hardware. Alternatively, if you're of a conspiratorial mind, Nintendo
> has already settled on a name, and it's submitting multiple trademark
> applications to camouflage its choice.
>

> The initialisms, the applications for which all went in on March 19,
> are as follows:
>

> DGB
> EGB
> GBD
> GBE
> GBN
> GBY
> TGB
> WGB
> XGB
>
> For fun, try coming up with the names that might be compressed down
> into those initials -- "DGB" might be "Dual Game Boy," while "XGB"
> might be "Game Boy XTREME~!" In the meantime, we'll continue to bring
> any and all updates on the progress of the DS project.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 4:14:03 PM

"Anon" <tenn734@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I know! how bout AGB for Advanced Gameboy
> Im gonna send nintendo an email right now...pure genius.

No, no, no... that won't do at all... sounds way too much
like GameBoy Advance... we need a way to let people
know that it is a step beyond the GameBoy Advance...
that it's more advanced than the GBA... Hmm... Wait!
I've got it!

Advanced GameBoy Advance... The AGBA!!
!