15-2500k max temp

sygma

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2011
Hi, I jsut finnished installing all my parts for a 2500k system. I'm using the stock cooler and I'm wondering if its normal to have a temp of 65C... I haven't even left the bios yet and its going to thoese temperatures. Please reply to me soon, I dont want to fry my CPU before even installing windows 7 yet.

Katzie

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2011
With my i3-2100 thats in my HTPC with the stock HSF I get mid 30C in temps. With my i5-2500k with the H70, I get 25-26C. These are all idle temps, and for the 2500k, thats the temps at stock (no OC). I can't imagine with the stock cooler you would get 65C at idle... maybe at load but definitely not at idle.

If those are the temps at idle, I would strongly suggest trying to re-seat the CPU/HSF and apply new thermal paste. Be sure to clean off both the CPU and HSF contacts before apply new paste.

Install Windows, download and load up RealTemp and CPU-Z and HWMonitor and check to see what it all says there. Usually those tools are pretty accurate. Take note of your VCore (usually 1.2v or something) and see if it somehow got changed to something over 1.3v or higher.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
In bios your processor is technically at load. Perhaps not full 100% stress test load, but under load still. This is due to the fact that it can't go into a low-power standby mode until it boots into windows.

Boot into windows and install hwmonitor or coretemp like henydiah said. See what your idle temps are there. If you want you can also download prime95 and let that run for 10 minutes to see what the temps get up to.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have seen this so many times on the new SB intel chips and there is an easy solution.

First of all, if 65 is your idle temp I would say no that's not normal. This would result in a load temp of probably around 80c which is higher than you would want to take. A couple of things to consider

- Yes you will see higher temps with the stock cooler, but as long as you're not overclocking it should be fine.

- Keep in mind when a PC has just been assembled you will initially see higher temps. This is due to the fact that the thermal paste in between the CPU and the heatsink requires a bit of curing time. Once the thermal paste has cured a bit better it will fill most of the microscopic voids in between the CPU and heatsink for proper insulation. Once you have installed W7, I suggest getting a stress test software such as Prime 95 and running it for a few hours or overnight. Don't be surprised if your temps drop as much as 10c after this.

- Did you ensure that the stock heatsink is properly secure? With temps only at 65c I am assuming so, but the SB stock cooler requires quite a bit of force to ensure the pushpins are properly secured. Go back and check just to ease your mind.

- If after running Prime 95, your temps are still alarming high, you may want to go back and either: clean off and re-apply some aftermarket thermal paste, invest in a aftermarket heatsink (recommended) something like the Hyper 212+, or both.

Please post back after you have installed W7, and ran your stress test. As I mention, your temps could easily drop 10 or 15c after your thermal paste has had time to cure a bit. Keep in mind some thermal pastes takes up to 200 hours to properly cure, but you will see the most dramatic increase in performance after just a few hours.

danraies

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
I also recently built a system with the i5-2500K and I get temps around 50-55 in the bios, so 65 is high. You might want to re-apply the thermal paste. On my stock fan there were three little stripes of thermal paste and when I took it off there were large spots between the strips that didn't have thermal paste on them, which was a big problem.

There seems to be debate on whether the stock fan is good enough, but personally, if there's debate then I'm just going to buy a new one. The $40 aftermarket heatsink is worth the peace of mind for me.

*sigh* Does no one use the Search function any more? This question comes up at least twice or three times daily. The regular posters above me should know this answer already. I'm going to have to get on the mods to get a "high BIOS temp" sticky at the top.

CPU temps will always be higher in the BIOS because the CPU cannot go into its low-power idle mode until it is fully booted into Windows. The longer you stay in the BIOS, the higher the CPU temp will go, up to a point. With the stock heat sink, that point is around 65ºC. I've even seen 70ºC. With an after-market cooler, that point would be lower. Of course, AMD temps will be lower than Intel temps.

In other words, sygma, your system is operating normally. Go ahead and install Windows. Once you get it fully installed, download and install a program like Core Temp or Real Temp and you will see the real Windows idle temps.

trogdor796

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009

I knew the answer :(