So lost...

timrodss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Hey guy's I have multiple questions here. I have an older hp5700 using dual e2160 processors at 1.8gh. I am stuck with two standard pci slots and an "ADD2 support only slot". #1- I need to know if I need a low profile graphics card or not, all I can tell you is the tower itself is about five inches wide standing up. #2- What is the best card I can get within a decent price range? I am not to savvy with computers but I can take advice and follow directions pretty well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

UberGenocide

Distinguished
May 17, 2009

What are you wanting to do? Game, internet, word processing?

Hope I can help in the future

Thanks

Uber :)

timrodss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Sorry forgot to put that in there. Gaming. I know i will very limited because of the pci only, but like I said I'm stuck with this system. I wont be running any super complicated games either. Just age of empires, mythology, dungeons. simple games.

welshmousepk

Distinguished
Yeah, you will need low profile and PCI. tbh, you are pretty stuck. You will have to shell out a lot of cash for a very bad GPU that will struggle with even the most basic games.

How much cash do you have? a PC can be built very cheaply these days. especially if you already have some of the components.

IE: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.610997

chuck one of these in: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102922&cm_re=5450-_-14-102-922-_-Product

and suddenly you have a pc orders of magnitude better than your current setup, for less than 250 dollars.

jb6684

Distinguished
Yeah, welshmousepl is right..... I'll say it more plainly

You can work around the "slim line" chassis pretty well....

You can try to pick a card that won't require a new power supply.....

BUT, if you have don't have a PCI Express 2.0 x8 or above expansion slot you CAN'T upgrade the computer .....

timrodss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
I did find one place that carries what seems to be a pretty decent card. Anyone care to comment on it? Its a PNY GeForce 8400GS Low profile 512mb Verto. Pain in the ass to find so any input would be nice. My own research into this turned up more positive comments then negative but I think you guys would be the ones to ask. As I said before, I'm stuck with this system until I can afford a better one. It will be awhile... .. so just trying to make this one tolerable. Thanks again.

timrodss

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
So I installed the card I talked about earlier. I wasnt expecting much out of it but I didnt expect it to actually lower my overall pc performance score. I can load dungeons but it moves so slow on even the lowest settings that its basically unplayable. Just gonna keep an eye out on ebay and craigslist for a fair priced system. Thanks to all for your input.

G

Hi timrodss,

Sorry for bringing this topic alive after a while. I have a dc5700 and decided to use as a mediacenter with XBMC. Have already a digital out for sound but need DVI/HDMI connectivity therefore decided to buy one. First check pcie like everyone and of course got same ADD2/SDV0 warning. If you still using your purchased card can you check if xbmc running with full HD movies like mkv and others.

I'm just in the middle of a decision to change mainboard or get the card.

Thanks
Muco