flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
Long story short: Got someones computer here that wont boot, power light flashes, psu makes a strange ticking noise so fairly simple conclusion: The power supply has coughed it's last.

The computer in question is a pretty old Compaq so my question really is whether there is any point at all in trying to replace the fried PSU and give it life again or fully replace the system (which would be my opinion). Although the cheap and easy option would be to simply replace the damaged part I wouldnt be surprised if the mobo/other areas were damaged in the process, making the whole thing worthless.

Anyone got a conflicting view on this before I give up on it?

sparky13

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
Need some more info. How old is the computer? You might try buying a new PSU (which you'll need anyways for a new system) and see what happens. If it comes back to life you can then evaluate to keep it for a while or buck up and assemble a new computer.

flaminggerbil

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2009
The problem is that the person in question would only want a low end pc, so most probably get a cheap Dell rather then build one myself which would end up costing more for that level.
Buying a PSU for it would ofcourse only cost £25-£30 but then if the mobo is damaged it'll just be that money wasted and a spare PSU with no home to go to.