MOBO red led on, PC wont power on

erick30

Distinguished
May 8, 2011
i have tried everything. at first, the led on the mobo wouldnt turn on at all, after some meddling on these forums... it did. got excited, but nothing changed. when i press the power button on the case, nothing turns on. no CPU fan, no PSU fan, no harddrive, nothing. tried the PSU on different PCs, worked great. specs are:
MOBO: ECS P67H2-A3
CPU: intel i5-2300 @2.8 ghz, LGA1155
GPU: XFX GeForce GT240 550m 1gb ddr3
HDD: 2 samsung 500gb SATA II
RAM: kingston valueRAM 2gb 240-pin ddr3 1333 (x3)
LG DVD writer
PSU: Cooler Master Silent Pro M RS700 700W ATX 12V

as i said, tried everything. made sure everything was connected right. only thing that troubles me are the front panel headers, dont know if they're connected how they're supposed to be and i read this has been the case on several occasions. insterted them exactly how my MOBO manual instructed me too, but i just dont know what else could be the problem. any help would be appreciated

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I don't like your mobo's manual :p Anyway from the looks of it you need to have the power and reset connected on your F_panel which is at the very bottom right of your motherboard to the right of your 3rd usb and below your last SATA II port. It is supposed to be:

X X X X
X X X X X

Where the Xs are pins where they are numbered

2 4 6 8 10
1 3 5 7 9

However!!! from the manual "Users please note that the above picture is for reference only, you should determine the header pin definition by the actual key pin location"

Check to see where the missing pin is. It could be in any corner thus changing the numbering pattern. It says to have power + on 6 and power - on 8 and reset + on 7 and reset - on 5.

If the key pin is on slot 9 instead of 10 like in the manual then you probably need to swap the power and reset to get it to work.

erick30

Distinguished
May 8, 2011

indeed my friend, neither do I :p

got it working though, thanks for the help :D seems like the 24pin wasn't connected properly, had a piece of melted plastic that made it difficult to fully connect ._. out of all the possibilities :p thanks!