Sign in with
Your question

Ram Slots and New Ram?

Last response: in Memory
April 22, 2012 7:43:22 PM

I bought 8gbs of high quality ram (HyperX from Kingston) for my system, to go alongside 8gbs of cheapy ram that is already installed. Should I remove the cheapies and replace them with the quality HyperX modules, and move the cheapies to the next two slots?

I ask this because I am wondering if there would be a preference to allocate memory to the first 2 slots, filling them first, before moving onto slot #3 and #4? Ideally I would want the quality ram modules handling everything first, before delegating any overflow to the cheaper modules.

More about : ram slots ram

April 23, 2012 12:00:41 AM

Well it depends. What are the specs on the older ram? If it is different don't use the old ram and new ram it would cause big problems.
April 23, 2012 5:23:24 PM

The (older) ram I have installed now is two (2) sets of 4gb DDR3 running at 1333MHz. The (new) ram I want to install is two (2) sets of 4gb DDR3 running at the same 1333MHz.

The new ram is of obvious higher build quality and manufactured by a major manufacturer, while the older ram is not. I haven't checked for latency discrepancies between the two, but if there were one, I would presume that my new ram would have the lower latency.

My new (better quality, perhaps better performing) 2x4gb DDR3 1333MHz modules now sits in slot #3 and #4, while my old (cheaper, perhaps lower performing) 2x4gb 1333MHz modules currently is set in #1 and #2 slot.

Back to my question: Is there a preference to allocate memory to the first 2 slots, filling them first, before moving onto slot #3 and #4? Ideally I would want the quality ram modules handling everything first, before delegating any overflow to the my older modules?
!