Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Network Randomly dropping

Last response: in Wireless Networking
November 16, 2010 7:43:14 PM

Hey, I'm just curious, why does my laptop's wireless network drop and become unconnected out or no where? It's happened twice and it's not really a big deal since it only lasts up to an hour, but I was just wondering why it does this? Is something interfering with the network?

More about : network randomly dropping

November 21, 2010 5:30:15 AM

It's difficult to say... since it's wireless there are so many factors like walls, your neighbors, etc. I have a dlink 655 router, a macbook pro, and a dell e6410 laptop. All of them are within 10-20 feet of my microwave and when I turn it on, my dell e6410 laptop's wifi connection dies until the microwave finishes whatever it needs to do while the macbook pro isn't affected at all.
m
l
November 21, 2010 6:28:30 AM

One of the things is that you are out of range from the router - make sure you are just less than 50ft from your wireless router and you are at the line of sight from the router. I don't know with redinsanemetroid - from what I know the microwave has a frequency of 300 MHz (0.3 GHz) and the wifi has 2.4, 3.6 and 5 GHz frequency bands their is no way it can conflict with each other.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 21, 2010 7:04:21 AM

You should try to optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless adapter's antenna.
November 22, 2010 1:05:43 AM

Best answer selected by Jacob_1996.
m
l
November 22, 2010 1:06:12 AM

Thanks for the information everyone, it's highly appreciated.
m
l
!