Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

Reinstall Check List for Homebuilt

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2011 1:32:42 AM

I purchased a New Build for a gaming PC back in December. Since that time it has been a roller coaster. I enjoyed putting the PC together and getting everything set up. It was an awesome feeling......till the Blue Screens came.

Since that time I reinstalled windows 7 twice, pulled out my hair, thought about throwing it in the pool, loved how fast it was and how amazing it was till I wanted to just surf the net....BAAAAAM Blue Screen.

This past week things came to a boiling point. Since I have seen that sometimes with new drivers and bios and updates things can go a little wonky, I thought well heck its already wonky, why not just try a few things. I decide lets flash the bios to the latest version for my mother board. 70% into the process BLUE SCREEN. On the reboot, there is a system boot failure...yada yada. Try to install the bios again, cant locate the file, The original CD Rom of course is outdated that doesnt work. Call Asus, awesome customer service. He tells me that if you use too big a USB Drive, it can hang it up, find a 2gb usb drive rather than the 8gb I had...doesn't work...I remember seeing online that someone renamed the file, C4F.rom which is the file the bios is looking for, I rename it...it works...Tech Support says well thats a new one for me I will have to remember that one. Bios Loads with no issues...system boots into Windows. All is looking great head to the internet...Blue Screen.

At this point I am torn with buying a new PC from a Dell or the like so I dont have to deal with these issues, or buy and Apple so I dont have to deal with them either and get out of the damn PC environment.

Having said that I have decided that I want to try one last time and do a new reinstall of windows. What I wanted to know is if someone had a check list of sorts on what you do when starting from scratch. This time around I want to make sure that as I go I can troubleshoot if needed, and more importantly make sure that I have all the latest updates and drivers etc etc.

Does anyone have such a list on how to go about it. Gaming PC companies must do this all the time and so I want to make sure I have something similar to how they would go about testing, and loading drivers, so that I can reach the best possible outcome.

I have read the great Step by Step Guide to Building a PC, however I need a little more clarity on how I should proceed after I have windows up. Which drivers should I attempt to load first? Is there a better order than others? Should I load all the latest windows 7 updates including SP1? After running all the tests such as these how do I proceed to make sure the BSOD dont happen again.

Run Prime95’s Blend Test for at least one hour and use one of the following programs to monitor your temps; Real Temp, SpeedFan or Core Temp. This will help determine if you system is running too hot and is unstable.
Run 3DMark’s Vantage or 3DMark06 to benchmark your system to see how your new build compares to similar systems.
Option: Run MemTest86+ for seven passes to check your memory for any possible errors. This isn't required unless you think there might be an issue with your memory.

I have listed my system specs below. Please let me know if you need anything from me to help this project along. Thank you again in advance for any advice.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II 965 BE
Asus Crosshair IV Formula- Bios 1902(latest)
MSI Hawk 5770 1GB
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB, WD Blue Caviar 1TB, OCZ Agility 2 40 GB SSD
Samsung 24X DVD RW
Corsair 850 HX (PSU)
Corsair H50 (Cooling)
Samsung Syncmaster 2770HD
Corsair 600T

Windows 7 64x Professionsal

More about : reinstall check list homebuilt

a c 111 B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2011 2:30:15 PM

Many BSOD's are memory related. Have you run memtest? http://www.memtest86.com/download.html
Some memory manufacturers recommend raising the Voltage slightly on the ram for dual channel on AMD system. Safest is to do it in 0.05volt increments until stable up to 0.2 over the rated voltage.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2011 2:41:01 PM

selonimes said:
I purchased a New Build for a gaming PC back in December. Since that time it has been a roller coaster. I enjoyed putting the PC together and getting everything set up. It was an awesome feeling......till the Blue Screens came.

Since that time I reinstalled windows 7 twice, pulled out my hair, thought about throwing it in the pool, loved how fast it was and how amazing it was till I wanted to just surf the net....BAAAAAM Blue Screen.

This past week things came to a boiling point. Since I have seen that sometimes with new drivers and bios and updates things can go a little wonky, I thought well heck its already wonky, why not just try a few things. I decide lets flash the bios to the latest version for my mother board. 70% into the process BLUE SCREEN. On the reboot, there is a system boot failure...yada yada. Try to install the bios again, cant locate the file, The original CD Rom of course is outdated that doesnt work. Call Asus, awesome customer service. He tells me that if you use too big a USB Drive, it can hang it up, find a 2gb usb drive rather than the 8gb I had...doesn't work...I remember seeing online that someone renamed the file, C4F.rom which is the file the bios is looking for, I rename it...it works...Tech Support says well thats a new one for me I will have to remember that one. Bios Loads with no issues...system boots into Windows. All is looking great head to the internet...Blue Screen.

At this point I am torn with buying a new PC from a Dell or the like so I dont have to deal with these issues, or buy and Apple so I dont have to deal with them either and get out of the damn PC environment.

Having said that I have decided that I want to try one last time and do a new reinstall of windows. What I wanted to know is if someone had a check list of sorts on what you do when starting from scratch. This time around I want to make sure that as I go I can troubleshoot if needed, and more importantly make sure that I have all the latest updates and drivers etc etc.

Does anyone have such a list on how to go about it. Gaming PC companies must do this all the time and so I want to make sure I have something similar to how they would go about testing, and loading drivers, so that I can reach the best possible outcome.

I have read the great Step by Step Guide to Building a PC, however I need a little more clarity on how I should proceed after I have windows up. Which drivers should I attempt to load first? Is there a better order than others? Should I load all the latest windows 7 updates including SP1? After running all the tests such as these how do I proceed to make sure the BSOD dont happen again.

Run Prime95’s Blend Test for at least one hour and use one of the following programs to monitor your temps; Real Temp, SpeedFan or Core Temp. This will help determine if you system is running too hot and is unstable.
Run 3DMark’s Vantage or 3DMark06 to benchmark your system to see how your new build compares to similar systems.
Option: Run MemTest86+ for seven passes to check your memory for any possible errors. This isn't required unless you think there might be an issue with your memory.

I have listed my system specs below. Please let me know if you need anything from me to help this project along. Thank you again in advance for any advice.

System Specs:

AMD Phenom II 965 BE
Asus Crosshair IV Formula- Bios 1902(latest)
MSI Hawk 5770 1GB
4GB G.Skill Ripjaws
Crucial RealSSD C300 128GB, WD Blue Caviar 1TB, OCZ Agility 2 40 GB SSD
Samsung 24X DVD RW
Corsair 850 HX (PSU)
Corsair H50 (Cooling)
Samsung Syncmaster 2770HD
Corsair 600T

Windows 7 64x Professionsal

Prime95 will give indications of CPU and memory failures, mostly memory. Memtest will confirm memory failure. Could you record and give the hex code presented when the blue-screen happens? Also if it says anything like PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONE_PAGED_AREA. That will help. If you've OC'd anything, take it down to stock voltages and speeds.

1 tip, manually set the voltage of your memory to what it says it needs to be on the sticks, sometimes leaving it at 'auto' does not detect the settings properly and will have it at something different, which can cause instability.

PS - If you ever threaten to buy Apple in my presence again, i will positively throw you off a cliff.
m
l
Related resources
May 9, 2011 3:16:20 PM

I ran both Memtest and Prime95 without any issues.

In fact I received the timings directly from G.Skill....the tech said they were the fail proof settings. I ran the passes, but nothing ended up changing from that end.

As I reinstall I guess I am trying to figure out if there is an optimum way to go.

For instance: Windows Updates first then update drivers? Update Drivers first, and then what order etc etc etc?

After that point I run all the tests, how can I assume that I have a stable system?

Or in the land of Home Build PC is that ever possible?

m
l
May 10, 2011 4:09:49 AM

One thing to note...everything right now is at stock...no OCing. Which stinks because that is something I did want to try. I would be ok with things if I knew it wasnt stable because of OCing.

The BSOD go by so fast it is almost impossible to be able to record what it was, however I could try the camera standby and see what comes up then.

m
l
May 10, 2011 4:31:26 AM

You can disable automatic restarting on failure in BIOS then it will stop on the BSOD.
m
l
May 10, 2011 4:44:12 AM

rolli59 said:
You can disable automatic restarting on failure in BIOS then it will stop on the BSOD.

Good to know...I did not actually think of that so thanks for that.

What about using ASTRA32....I can't recall where I read about it, however from what I remember it seemed like a good tool to test out stability issues. Is that so?

Would it be better to use the other programs suchs and MemTest and Prime instead for testing?
m
l
May 11, 2011 2:27:46 AM

If I suspect that the issue could be video card related, what would be the best way to check if it that vs a driver? For instance should I just grab another 5770 and test it out or try something else?

Suggestions?
m
l
May 11, 2011 4:29:15 AM

Best way to check that is to try the card in a different computer.
m
l
May 11, 2011 10:33:18 PM

Bah...that is going to be problematic...I don't have another one around to be able to actually do that. Maybe I can bring it someplace to test it out.

I ran memtest and prime95...those checked out.

Ran Kombustor...that was fine.

Tried to run 3dMark 11, tried 3d Mark Vantage and both had errors.

Windows updated, BSOD all over the place.

Think I may have to resort to a reinstall.
m
l
May 11, 2011 10:46:57 PM

I turned off the auto restart so I was able to check the BSOD.

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

STOP 0x0000001A

0x0000000000003452, 0x000007FEFDA82000, 0xFFFFF70001084D10

Any thoughts?

5 Minutes later this BSOD.

System_service_Exception

0x0000003B
m
l
May 12, 2011 7:34:21 AM

Googling your errors points to a few things! Overclocking, lack of power to the ram or driver issue with new hardware. If you have;
overclocking back it down.
ram power issues manually increase your ram voltage in 0.05 increments (max 0.2volts)
GPU issues only way to know for sure is trying it in another computer or try another one.
m
l