Closed Solved

RAM at normal speeds giving instability

A few months ago I bought 16GB Patriot G Series Sector 5 DDR3/1600 (http://patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=34&prodgroupid=200&id=956&type=1). I paired it up with my Intel Corei5 2500k, a GIGABYTE GA Z68A-D3H-B3 (http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3976#ov), a Hitachi 2TB Hard Drive (5900rpm) and an EVGA GTX 460 SE. All of this is enclosed in a HAF 912 case with three extra fans. The build went great, except there's one problem: I checked my RAM, and it was only rated at 1066Mhz. I tried bringing it back up to 1600Mhz at the recommended timings, but it gave system instability (BSODs, etc). I even tried bringing it up to a mild 1333Mhz, but no luck. What's wrong?
10 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about normal speeds giving instability
  1. Is this RAM 1.65v? I just built an i7 rig with the same issue using 1.65v RAM it defaulted the RAM to 1.55v at 1066 MHz...I had to replace my RAM modules with 1600 @ 1.5v RAM sticks..This fixed my issue...Intel chips are super picky about RAM
  2. It does sound like a ram voltage issue.
  3. Try flashing your bios if it comes down to it.
  4. lowjack989 said:
    Is this RAM 1.65v? I just built an i7 rig with the same issue using 1.65v RAM it defaulted the RAM to 1.55v at 1066 MHz...I had to replace my RAM modules with 1600 @ 1.5v RAM sticks..This fixed my issue...Intel chips are super picky about RAM
    Yeah, it needs 1.65 volts to run at 1600... What do I do? Do I have to replace the RAM? I tried tweaking the voltages to my advantage, but that didn't work. :(
  5. Changing my RAM stick to lower voltage modules worked for me
  6. My board isn't the same but I had to enable Intel XMP Profile, in order to get my RAM running at 1600mhz. Look around for that option in your BIOS.
  7. alexdh01 said:
    My board isn't the same but I had to enable Intel XMP Profile, in order to get my RAM running at 1600mhz. Look around for that option in your BIOS.

I tried XMP. Didn't work, either.
  8. Best answer
    Its the voltage of the RAM...I am sure of it..
  9. Best answer selected by themissingpiece.
  10. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory