Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer Freezing in Games

Last response: in Systems
May 9, 2011 5:48:37 AM

Hey All,

So to start off here’s my specs:

2 Western Digital 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s (raid 0)
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler
Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz
Mad Dog MD-600 PSU
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
XFX GX260NADFF GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 896MB 448-bit GDDR3
Antec Nine Hundred Case
Windows 7 Enterprise

When in 3D games like Borderlands, SC2 and as well as GPU Caps Viewer Furry Cube stress test. My computer will completely hard lock with a single color filling my screen. If it happens in a game the sound will freeze in a loop. I have to hard boot the computer by holding the power button down.

So far here’s what I've done.

Uninstalled the GeForce 270.58 Drivers using Ccleaner and reinstalled. I also tried rolling back to the 266.58 Drivers using the same method.

Installed SP1 for Windows 7 and all other updates.

Tried a system restore.

Defragged my Hard Drive.

Tried different benchmark "stress test" tools. I was able to run FurMark 1.9 which is basically the same as Furry Cube stress test, and it didn't freeze on me. The max my video card’s heat got to was 86c. I was also able to run 3d Mark Vantage without it freezing.

I’m thinking faulty Video card or maybe my PSU isn’t pushing enough power. This issue started about 3 weeks ago. At first I thought it was just SC2, so I got frustrated with not being able to play that game and started Borderlands, where it happened again.

I have a friend who has the exact same video card as I have who is going to bring it to me tomorrow so I can test. I do not have a spare PSU to work with. I’m at the end of my rope with this issue, as it seems to be happening more frequently. Just looking for any suggestions beyond what I have already done.

Thanks in advance.

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2011 3:20:11 PM

Okay, you are on the right track. It is either the GPU (video card) or the PSU (power supply). Also, are you overclocking anything? If so, stop OCing until the problem is resolved. OCing adds additional stress to the very components you are trying to troubleshoot.

Regardless, I would dump the Mad Dog PSU. Not to insult you in any way, but Mad Dog sells junk. I suggest a quality PSU from Seasonic, Antec, or Corsair. Up to you and your budget.
May 9, 2011 6:57:09 PM

Okay so I used my friends GPU and issue happened again in the stress test. So now I am definatly thinking PSU. Is there any real way to test a PSU other than swapping it? Is there any good software testing tools out there? COLGeek I agree with you I got this PSU so long ago at CompUSA before I really knew a whole lot about computers, I kept it around because it seemed to do its job, I also liked the fact it was modular. I had forgot what brand it was until I checked it out to post my specs on this board. The moment I noticed the name Mad Dog, I was hesistant to even put it on my specs listing LOL. BTW no overclocking has been done.

Anyway I think ill go with the CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.2 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2011 7:02:10 PM

The Corsair you are considering should be fine. That is a decent PSU.

You can test a PSU with a PSU tester/analyzer, but not really with software except by loading up the system and running at its max for as long as possible (usually ends with a crash and the possibility of corrupting your HDD in process). Most reputable computer shops can test a PSU, but given what you have now (sorry...ouch) it would be a waste of $$$.
m
l
May 9, 2011 7:06:06 PM

LOL I hear ya. Welp time to order a new PSU. Ill update when I get it and install it.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 9, 2011 7:07:56 PM

HOOAH!!! When you get the new PSU, at least you will have a solid foundation (power-wise) to troubleshoot further if needed. Standing by to assist later as needed. Good luck!
m
l
May 12, 2011 1:48:17 AM

Okay so I got the new power supply and installed it, and still having the same issue. Not sure where to go from here.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 12, 2011 12:00:46 PM

Does your mobo have integrated video or do you have another video card? I suggest you completely uninstall your Nvidia drivers. Download DriverSweeper from this link:

http://download.cnet.com/Driver-Sweeper/3000-2094_4-752...

Then completely remove the Nvidia drivers, be sure to get the latest version from nvidia.com for your system first.

When uninstalled via DriverSweeper, restart the rig and then install the current drivers when the system starts back up.
m
l
May 18, 2011 12:53:42 AM

Okay so I just gave in and upgraded my cpu, mbd and ram. And now my problem is worse! lol so the components I got are as follows:

ASRock P67 Extreme4
i5 2500 sandybridge
Gskill Ripjaws DDR3-1333 8g 4x2

I get no post on boot, and the Dr. Debug is giving me 00, but its not counting down or anything just shows strait 00. At first it was giving me an 38, so after some research it was looking like something with the CPU so I reseated the CPU and now im at 00.. Is my CPU toast? or Motherboard? man I have no clue. Supposidly 00 means its passed everything but I don't think its passed anything.. So frustrated.

Thanks for any help
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2011 2:00:26 AM

Go through this guide an double check everything. Now, we are working a completely different problem due to the massive hardware changes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

Be sure to check all the simple stuff first (like secure power connectors, both the 4/8-pin aux and 24-pin connectors). Also disconnect all storage and peripheral devices, leaving only video and mobo (with CPU, heatsink, and RAM). See if you can get into BIOS. That is a start.
m
l
May 18, 2011 3:45:31 AM

Well I think I can see the issue, there apears to be some bent pins on the cpu socket. I wish I would have looked there before I installed the CPU because Im pretty sure I didn't bend them with my install as I was very careful, but I can't be 100% certain. I hope I can get an RMA for it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 18, 2011 11:45:14 AM

animositas said:
Well I think I can see the issue, there apears to be some bent pins on the cpu socket. I wish I would have looked there before I installed the CPU because Im pretty sure I didn't bend them with my install as I was very careful, but I can't be 100% certain. I hope I can get an RMA for it.

Good luck on the RMA!
m
l
May 28, 2011 6:43:42 AM

Okay now im really confused and frustrated. Got my RMA'd motherboard today, installed it and everything installed smooth. I've formated my HDD and updated to Windows 7 64 bit. The only thing I've installed is Liberkey Ultimate. Just ran the same furry cube test and what do ya know it hard locked again..... So ive got a new cpu, mbd, ram, power supply, tested a different video card, and installed a new upgraded operating system... How can this be? The only thing that is not new is my Video Card and my HDD. Could it somehow be my RAID and or a bad HDD? Im running on a RAID 0 configuration and I didn't rebuild the raid on this MBD it was already detected. Is it possible my friends card was also bad? Im complety lost on this one.

Thanks for any more help
m
l
May 28, 2011 7:39:41 AM

Well its sounds like you pretty much rebuilt your rig so yeah it wouldnt hurt to try out a new or other maybe your friends hdd and see if it will work from there try cleaning your raid or hdd cable ends with a soft toothbrush to clean your points.....other than that it sounds like you have a totally new system now when 1 little thing is wrong....hmmm try that out and let us know....I know it can be frustrating considering basically everything is new...yeah try swithin out your hdd or clean it first...hdd are really sensitive unbalanced just a bit with dirt can throw your rpms right out the window which could result in the problems your having now....wow hope you get it workin...let us know after you clean it up and if that worked or switchin it out...did you try YOUR card in your friends rig? if his is working on his set up yours should to if its still good
m
l
May 31, 2011 4:23:21 AM

Okay tried a new HDD and new SATA cable. Still a no go. Tomorrow im taking it into my office and my friend who works there is bringing in another video card, as well as a different computer I can test my card on. If this doesn't work I am completly out of ideas. I was thinking this could also be power issue in my outlets so taking it to work will also eliminate that. Any other ideas are welcome. Ive tried a different wall socket here at my house as well as a different power cable just in case. Thanks for all the help so far.
m
l
May 31, 2011 4:43:12 AM

wow what a pain this is ...Im feelin for ya...sorry I couldnt help you out more
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 3:43:13 PM

Based on all you changed, the GPU is more likely the issue rather than your RAID/HDDs. Also, what speed is your memory running at (in BIOS)?
m
l
May 31, 2011 8:35:03 PM

animositas said:
Okay tried a new HDD and new SATA cable. Still a no go. Tomorrow im taking it into my office and my friend who works there is bringing in another video card, as well as a different computer I can test my card on. If this doesn't work I am completly out of ideas. I was thinking this could also be power issue in my outlets so taking it to work will also eliminate that. Any other ideas are welcome. Ive tried a different wall socket here at my house as well as a different power cable just in case. Thanks for all the help so far.

so how did it go?
m
l
May 31, 2011 9:35:38 PM

Okay so on a crap GeForce 8400 the issue stopped. So it is GPU. My guess is my Motherboard and GPU were fried and when I tried my friends video card on the old motherboard thats why I still had the issue, just a guess, but thats the only thing that really makes sense. Anyway on to buying a new Video Card. I guess I needed to update my system anyway. :)  thanks for all the help guys.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
May 31, 2011 10:01:54 PM

Can you RMA your original GPU?
m
l
June 1, 2011 4:35:10 PM

No my GPU is out of warranty :(  So I got the EVGA 01G-P3-1373-AR GeForce GTX 460 (Fermi) Superclocked EE 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready. Thanks again for all the help guys.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
June 1, 2011 5:29:37 PM

Is it installed and rocking the house yet?
m
l
June 2, 2011 4:37:22 PM

Yeah Im interested as well after everything that you have done now.....or you are probly too bust "rockin the house" (hopefully)
m
l
June 3, 2011 12:34:07 AM

Okay GTX 460 installed, ran the furry test for 2500 seconds before stopping it, it ran smooth and fast. Haven't done any overclocking yet, going to grab an aftermarket CPU Cooler and OC my CPU hopefully up to around 5 gigs. And going to overclock my gpu as well. But for now its rocking out!!! Glad to have this over with. It looks like my motherboard was frying gpu's, my friends GPU that was lent to me is having the exact same issue on multiple systems, and it was working fine before he lent it to me, which sucks. So The only thing I really wouldn't have had to replace is my PSU, but seeing as how it was a POS in the first place it needed reaplacing. So all in all I would have basically had to replace all my parts anyway, because the MBD and GPU were bad. Again guys thanks for all the help. Im currently installing all my games again after the format and reinstall of Windows but from the few things I've tested this thing is screaming, and its only gonna get better after I OC it. One more time thanks to COLGeek, Viper_69 and everyone else for all the the assitance.
m
l
June 3, 2011 12:44:08 AM

Best answer selected by animositas.
m
l
!