How much will a 1200W PSU raise my power bill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackout621

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011
If I use a computer powered by a 1200W PSU 2 hours a day on average, how much do you guys think it will raise my power bill? (Duke Energy)

Solution
Depends on the actual draw of the unit, most PSU's don't get up to 100% anyway, so you'd have to measure that. There are meters you can buy which will tell you the actual draw though, you just plug it in, and it'll measure it up. Then you can multiply it by how much Duke Energy charges per kilowatt hour.

I'd say a quarter a day, but that's just going off the cuff, not an actual measurement.

Depends whats in the computer, the PSU only pulls enough power to give the system what it needs so a 1200W PSU running a 100W system isnt going to be pulling 1200W from the wall, because its got some inefficiencies in it, it would likely draw about 140W from the wall, if its actually supplying 1000W of power to the system then its going to start to make a dent in the power bill at about 20 cents/hour, its going to take a long time to add up to anything significant.

MysticMiner

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2011
Depends on the actual draw of the unit, most PSU's don't get up to 100% anyway, so you'd have to measure that. There are meters you can buy which will tell you the actual draw though, you just plug it in, and it'll measure it up. Then you can multiply it by how much Duke Energy charges per kilowatt hour.

I'd say a quarter a day, but that's just going off the cuff, not an actual measurement.

Solution

Blackout621

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2011

Thanks for the advice. You were pretty close, it would cost $6.37 to use it 60 hours/month. So I'm fine with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.