Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Scew for an LGA 775?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 23, 2012 1:39:29 AM

I have an PEGATRON CORPORATION EVANS 1.02 motherboard with LGA 775 sockets. I brought an intel duo core 2 processor but the stock cooler comes with push pins.- I removed the pins because that won't go through. Now that the cooler is pin free; I want to screw the cooler into the motherboard.

I don't think I'll need a backplate because my older processor's heatsink is screwed in, so I knew scews can go in there.

I plan to go to a hardware store and pick up some screws and try to screw the new heatsink down like my old one, my only question is - what size screws should I get? Is there a way I can find out?

Thanks.

More about : scew lga 775

a c 154 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 1:54:56 AM

More than likely, your motherboard has threaded inserts - you can (gently) push those out - the push-pins should then fit those holes
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:25:07 AM

Thank you for your answer and yes, you are right - they are threaded, (if you mean they have a metal ring around the holes) but I'm a novice and I don't want to risk damaging my motherboard when all I need is some screws.

m
l
Related resources
a c 154 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 3:19:31 AM

Umbassa said:
Thank you for your answer and yes, you are right - they are threaded, (if you mean they have a metal ring around the holes) but I'm a novice and I don't want to risk damaging my motherboard when all I need is some screws.

If it were that easy, they would include screws.
I mention it as the best course because ensuring a proper "seat" is critical to good cooling (and prolonging your CPU's life). The use of aftermarket screws (I can give you sizes if needed - but I am going to discourage that approach for now) is tricky to say the least.
The pressure needed to insert the stock push pins often feels like it is too much (scares many novices) - just apply even pressure on opposite sides until it clicks into place - this video is good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_56kyib-Ls&feature=relm...
- if you don't want to watch the whole thing, skip to 8:30
Or, use the old heatsink (you would need to clean it and apply thermal paste though)

m
l
April 23, 2012 8:23:43 AM

Thank you for your concern. Just so you know, this wasn't my first stop when I ran into trouble with the push pins. By the time I posted this queston I am already at my wits end with them and their use is not an option. Again, I;ve already removed the pins from the cooler, and they are intact so that I could use them again but no - not going to go that route.

1>The old heatsink is not an option. There is too much heat. My computer shuts down shortly after bootup because of the amount of heat. I know its not a compatibility issue because both CPU i have, old and new are both Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo - the only difference is one is 2.2 and the other is 3.0, thus the upgrade.

2> It was recommended that I go into the BIOS and change the "shutdown" heat temps but I don't want to go that route, I want to reduce heat and not just kick up the threshold, and for that I need a powerful cooler (which I've purchased, I'm not using the stock cooler, though both are push pins) that I can screw into the motherboard.

3> Please note, someone suggested I fiddle with the motherboard. In a word, no. I'm over here freaking about four little plastic pins and I don't feel think that someone who struggles with that should be fiddle with her motherboard, gently or not.

Your answer leads me to believe that my idea of purchasing screws from a hardware store and using those instead can be done. Awesome. If you know the sizes I'd appreciate it, otherwise I will be going to your locale walmart and purchasing a generic assortment of machine screws; not telling me isn't going to stop me. :)  But I DO appreciate the caution.

m
l

Best solution

a c 154 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 1:55:46 PM

Okay, but I'm not liking it... there are two sizes commonly used on motherboards... 6/32 and M3 (no guarantees though since the inserts may be propriety).
April 23, 2012 2:10:40 PM

Googled it and they look exactly like whats in my old heatsink. Thanks. :)  I'll go pick up a pack at your local walmart / radioschak / etc.

I appreciate your understanding and tolerance for a n00b. :) 
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:10:51 PM

Best answer selected by Umbassa.
m
l
!