Sign in with
Your question

EP45-UD3P/9800 GX2 Stuck in Boot Loop [HELP]

Last response: in Motherboards
April 23, 2012 1:47:44 AM

I spent the last 6 hours upgrading my motherboard, CPU, Graphics Card. I had a ASUS A8N SLi-Pemium motherboard with a AMD 4800+ that I replaced in my current tower case with my new EP45-UD3P and Q6600 Intel Quad Core along with my current 9800 GX2 PNY edition 1GB.

Anyways, I got everything built and I go to turn on the computer and it will stay around for about 3 to 5 seconds then shut off completely then it will turn itself back on and keep doing that over and over. There is NO display at all, black screen is all I get.

After that, I cleared the CMOS settings with a jumper and took the battery out and put it back in and I tried using a cheap PCI VGA card and it works fine with that! Can go into the Bios and everything.

Every time I hook my GX2 back in, it just keeps doing the boot loop with a black screen. I know for a fact it's not my GX2 as I was just on it yesterday before I started upgrading my tower case.

I have anther PCI-E x16 graphics card which is a NIVIDIA 7950 GT ko and it works fine with no problems when it's in the same slot that I am having troubles with on the PNY 1GB.

I unhooked all my dvd rom drives and hdd's when testing and 1 stick of ram, updated to latest Bios, replaced all new 6/8 pin and 12v molex power cables. still no luck.

I am going crazy, any help will be very appreciated :fou: 

Model of the motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6) Bios ver. FD 2009/11/24
Model of the memory: G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK (4x2GB / 8GB total)
Model of the CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 2:44:09 AM

What PSU are you using?
m
l
April 23, 2012 2:53:20 AM

cmichael138 said:
What PSU are you using?

ULTRA X3 1600 watt
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 4:38:13 AM

It is possible that the GX2 is bad. It could have been damaged when you removed and swapped it around. Static charge can do it. I say it sounds like the card because you say that the system runs fine with a different card and only loops when the GX2 is used. Since you went from AMD to Intel, did you install the chip set drivers? Did you install a new version of the video drivers as well? Did you do a clean instal or just reused the HD intact?
m
l
April 23, 2012 5:24:21 AM

I didn't try installing the chip set, no. Why would that matter if my 7950 works? ( That's why I didn't bother.)

I didn't install any new video drivers because in order to install the drivers you need to have the physical card in for it to detect to install the drivers from nvidia.

I did a clean windows install.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 12:55:12 PM

Windows needs the chip set drivers to be able to properly communicate with all the MB devices. Aside from that I still think the GX2 has gone bad. Do you have another system you can check it in. From what you say, you have validated the slot as another card works in it, the PS seems good as it powers the system with the other card and the system works as it should except when the GX2 is used.
m
l
April 23, 2012 5:47:43 PM

Yeah, I was just using my GX2 2 days ago before I started working on this current build. I will put my old computer all back together and see if my GX2 is still good.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 6:35:40 PM

I had these same issues with that motherboard and It was power supply related. You must not be in the US I don't think we have 1600 watt powers supplies. Make sure all the extra power connection on the motherboard are plugged in too. The 8 pin suplimental connector. Try also diffrent connectors to the Video card.

Thent
m
l
April 23, 2012 7:48:39 PM

thently said:
I had these same issues with that motherboard and It was power supply related. You must not be in the US I don't think we have 1600 watt powers supplies. Make sure all the extra power connection on the motherboard are plugged in too. The 8 pin suplimental connector. Try also diffrent connectors to the Video card.

Thent

So I hooked up my old motherboard all back up together and the GX2 runs fine on it... I knew it was gonna be like that. I am going to try 1 more thing then I'm finished. I'm gonna install the chip set drivers that I never installed when I was testing it all out.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 8:19:08 PM

Chipset drivers are after bios so that is not going to help out i dont think. I have had power cycling for heat/overclock/power issues so check all of that then return it...

Thent
m
l
!