Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Going full screen is slow

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 3, 2011 12:41:12 AM

First off, playing anything fullscreen is perfectly fine. The problem is anything like ctrl-alt-del, opening a game, alt-tab, whatever gets slow. Now this problem only happens half the time. I can restart my computer and it will be fine, but after awhile it will slow down again.

My setup is:
2 - 5870s on 11.2 catalyst
i7 930 @ 3.8ghz
6gb ripjaw @ 1600mhz
700w corsair psu
50 inch panasonic plasma g25

any information would be really appreciated

Edit: also another problem I saw was sometimes when playing certain games the screen would flash really fast like 100ms some garbled image, but it's almost too fast to notice or anything.

Please don't reply with, "Well I think this or that" only definite answers

More about : full screen slow

March 3, 2011 12:49:43 AM

Let me try and clarify what I wrote. 70% of the time alt tab, going full screen, whatever is almost instant no problem. But the other 30% it will take 10s or more. It's horrible.
March 3, 2011 12:53:45 AM

I would uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers. Also look into ATI forums for Crossfire problems.

Also check your system temperatures (CPU and GPUs), you might be getting some throttling there.
Related resources
March 3, 2011 12:58:50 AM

darkguset said:
I would uninstall and reinstall the graphics drivers. Also look into ATI forums for Crossfire problems.

Also check your system temperatures (CPU and GPUs), you might be getting some throttling there.


Reinstalled drivers twice, and temps are low-medium
March 3, 2011 1:17:38 AM

portal said:
Let me try and clarify what I wrote. 70% of the time alt tab, going full screen, whatever is almost instant no problem. But the other 30% it will take 10s or more. It's horrible.


Oh! It is only alt+tab that makes it slow. That I think depends on the application and had something to do with ATI's drivers in an old revision if i remember correctly. They had fixed that in a later one. Perhaps it has crawled back out again!

I would not worry about it too much though. Why would you need to ALT+TAB often though? Unless you are running a trainer? ;) 
March 3, 2011 1:36:09 AM

darkguset said:
Oh! It is only alt+tab that makes it slow. That I think depends on the application and had something to do with ATI's drivers in an old revision if i remember correctly. They had fixed that in a later one. Perhaps it has crawled back out again!

I would not worry about it too much though. Why would you need to ALT+TAB often though? Unless you are running a trainer? ;) 


It's not just alt tab, even starting a game. My computer is near high of the spectrum and after the lobby timer in League of Legends it black screens for 10s and then I start loading. And I'm behind others who have worse computers. Also, it's fast and fine for awhile, then slows down.
March 3, 2011 1:58:35 AM

slowly making me want to go nvidia on next purchase
March 3, 2011 8:45:14 PM

I don't think things are better on the other side my friend... they ALL have their problems. Countless times I have seen people from one side wanting to jump to the other... until they realise the grass is not as green as it seems.

I would pick a side depending on the FEATURES that each company offers...

eg. CUDA vs CCL, 3D vs Eyefinity, etc., other than that it comes down to price/performance
March 5, 2011 3:22:10 AM

I have been experiencing this issue since the 10.12 drivers. It is absurd. I am running in eyefinity (5760x1200) and using any drivers higher than 10.10e. Alt+Tab from ANY fullscreen game to windows desktop takes 25-35 seconds of sitting at a black screen. With the 10.10e drivers it is nearly instantaneous. I play EVE Online in eyefinity and have two accounts active which I alt+tab between, with the 10.10e's there is no problem, but with anything newer it isn't do-able.

Win 7 x64 Pro
50GB SSD (8GB Pagefile)
256GB SSD (No Pagefile)
300GB Raptor (8GB Pagefile)
2x 1TB 7200rpm (8GB Pagefile each)
Intel i7 950 @ 3.8GHz (40C-65C)
Gigabyte X58A-UD3R
24GB DDR3 (1600Mhz)
XFX 5970 Black Edition
Corsair 1000W

This system can certainly handle alt+tab, yet it acts like an old Pentium Pro when I try to alt+tab.

Occasionally when I suffer through the 30 seconds of blank screen with looped sound I am treated to a "Windows Explorer has stopped working" dialog box.

Output from the event viewer for the most recent failure:
Quote:
Log Name: Application
Source: Application Hang
Date: 3/4/2011 10:29:42 PM
Event ID: 1002
Task Category: (101)
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: {snip}
Description:
The program explorer.exe version 6.1.7600.16450 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 908
Start Time: 01cbdaeccca4290d
Termination Time: 4
Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
Report Id: acb4e6df-46e0-11e0-a7de-1c6f65956096

Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Application Hang" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1002</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>101</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2011-03-05T04:29:42.000000000Z" />
<EventRecordID>6446</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>{snip}</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>explorer.exe</Data>
<Data>6.1.7600.16450</Data>
<Data>908</Data>
<Data>01cbdaeccca4290d</Data>
<Data>4</Data>
<Data>C:\Windows\explorer.exe</Data>
<Data>acb4e6df-46e0-11e0-a7de-1c6f65956096</Data>
<Binary>55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>
!