Heat problems

Teufelshunde36

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hi guys:)
I built my own system and noticed GPU/CPU heating up while playing Rift. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas on what I could do to remedy the situation. Sometimes I get CPU overheat messages during boot up when I checked temp in bios it was 86 Celsius. My Bios setting are basically default and the system is not overclocked...yet. Here is my system:

Win 7 64 Bit
Case Antec 900
Rampage 3 Extreme MB
G Skill Ripjaws F3 12800 CL7Q 8GB Ram
I7 960 3.2 CPU...stock cooler...ordered Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus to replace it though...hoping this helps a lot:)
Giga GV-R587SO-1GD GPU
Coolmax 950 watt PSU
OCZ SSD

I ordered 4 new case fans to replace the 3 stock ones and to add the optional side fan to blow directly on GPU. Also got particle covers for the fans as I would like to blow out dust less frequently. I also ordered the Cooler Master Hyper 212 because Maximum PC said it was a great CPU cooler. I am hoping these changes will have a positive effect.

I would like to overclock the system a bit if I can resolve the heat issues...can anyone give me advice for that? Never played with overclocking before.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
I have the same problem with my i7-2600... also ordered the same cooler and a new case. Somehow stock i7 coolers seem useless to me. Intel didn't change anything in them... I've seen same default cooler on the Pentium D =) So yeah, I'm pretty sure it's your CPU cooler.

It's not the same default cooler. It only looks the same. For instance, the cooler that came with original 65 nm Core2's is about twice as thick as the cooler that came with the 45 nm Core2's. The original is also a better design. It has the aluminum heatsink cast around a copper core. The 45 nm heatsink is solid aluminum. The heatsink for the new i3 and i5 CPU's is even thinner.

Teufelshunde36

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Ambient temp in my room is 70 Fahrenheit. I'm just waiting on Tiger Direct for my new additions then I am going to replace the stock cooler and case fans along with a thorough dust cleaning. I'm hoping this has a dramatic reduction in temperature.

Teufelshunde36

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
I installed a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for my I7 960 and replaced the 4 stock fans in my Antec 900 with Aero Cool Sharks. Idle CPU temperature dropped from 55 Celsius to 32 Celsius. So I would definitely recommend this cooler.