Yaro98slav

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
The other day, when i was using my computer, the screen kept on going black every 5 seconds. I turned it off for the night, but when i tried turning it on the next day, nothing happened. The light was green, but none of the fans or anything started up. I thought it was the power supply, btu when i tried a new one, the same thing happened. It wouldn't start up. My comp. is a Compaq Presario SR2163WM. Any suggestions??

Solution
A number of things could be causing this. It would be helpful to know a few things, such as how long you've had it, if you have made any changes, etc? My guess is that your processor may be fried, which is entirely possible considering the release date of the computer. Although it was only put in to production five years ago, this is about the point where some user's of said model will have processors die on them for various reasons, such as electron-migration. Just what electron migration is, you will have to google, it would take too long to explain here. Also make sure that the computer isn't filled with tons of dust. If there is too must accumulated dust, the cooling system won't be able to dissipate heat fast enough, if at all...

UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
A number of things could be causing this. It would be helpful to know a few things, such as how long you've had it, if you have made any changes, etc? My guess is that your processor may be fried, which is entirely possible considering the release date of the computer. Although it was only put in to production five years ago, this is about the point where some user's of said model will have processors die on them for various reasons, such as electron-migration. Just what electron migration is, you will have to google, it would take too long to explain here. Also make sure that the computer isn't filled with tons of dust. If there is too must accumulated dust, the cooling system won't be able to dissipate heat fast enough, if at all, and the system may overheat before it can get going, then shut off to avoid damage. You may also consider removing the heatsink fan and putting new thermal paste on it. I did this with my HP desktop recently and it dropped the temps an unbelievable amount. With the stock thermal crap it was always teetering on the edge of overheating while it was under load, and saying that the idle temps were toasty would be a gross understatement. Keep in mind, my desktop isn't even two years old yet, and the thermal paste was already going to crap. I'm not saying this is the case for you, but considering the (lack of) quality of stock thermal paste, it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

The last thing you need to look into is the possibility of your motherboard being fried. In my opinion, there is a good chance this is what you are dealing with, since you mention the case fans not turning on. I supposed this would also affect whether or not your hard drives power up as well, but I guess it's possible that it isn't in this case. If you think you have a bad motherboard, you can go on Newegg/Amazon and look around for a new one. I assume your CPU is based on the LGA478 or LGA775 chipset, but make sure you look up your CPU model on the manufacturer website just to double check. Also be sure to buy one that will fit inside your current case and that has the right kind of ports and connectors and whatever for your existing hardware.

Solution

Yaro98slav

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
I haven't changed anything recently, and its been in use for 4-5 years. I clean computers from dust every half year or so, since it can slow down the computer, and get in the way for of the fans. I applied new thermal paste just last summer.

UnitedExpress4180

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I'm not sure, probably, but I don't know about it since the only way I've ever tested a motherboard is by booting up the computer. I've never dealt with a dead motherboard before, so I'd recommend googling ways to test it.

Yaro98slav

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2011
It wasn't the motherboard after all. It was the graphics card thats fried. After taking it out, the computer started to boot up normally. Thanks for the help though.

TRENDING THREADS