Solved

Gaming build, 1500$ taxes in, lots of questions

Hi guyz, this is my first time here, im a real noob with pc components and stuffs.
Sorry for my english, its not my first language.

So, I have a budget of 1500$ taxes in, im from Canada.

Here my present build ;

Intel Core i7-2600K
ASUS P8P67-M PRO
XFX Radeon HD 6850 1GB
WD Caviar Black 1TB
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W
Antec Nine Hundred Two V3
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB

Overclocking : Yes.

Sli / CrossfireX : Ready for future.

Here are my questions, since my build is mainly for gaming purpose and school stuffs, i dont do video editing and rendering.

1) Should I choose i5 2500k instead of the i7 2600k since its only for gaming ? (i7 +2mb cache and HT)
2) is my GPU allright ?
3) If I add a coolermaster hyper 212 plus to my CPU to cool it off, will it fit in my antec 900 ?
4) SHould I Choose a P67 micro ATX or normal ATX ??? whats the difference ? wichs one the best...

I will take any suggestions / comments on my build to make it better.

Thanks a lot...

I mostly play WOW, CRYSIS, SC 2, and will evantually play D3 !!

please answer :)
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about gaming build 1500 taxes lots questions
  1. 1. Up to you. The 2500K is plenty for all current games.
    2. Get a 6950 instead.
    3. Yes.
    4. Might as well get a full size motherboard. Better for Crossfire later.

and: replace the COOLER MASTER Silent Pro 700W with a quality 850W PSU from Corsair or Antec. You will have plenty of power for Crossfire, overclocking, and future upgrades.
  2. The difference between the Intel® Core™ I5-2500K and I7-2600K comes down to 2 things for most people. The first is that the Intel Core I7-2600K has hyper-threading giving support for 4 additional threads. The second difference is that the Intel Core I7-2600K has a clock speed that is 100 MHz faster. Now since very few games right now will take advantage of more than 3 threads right now, the extra threads that the Intel Core I7-2600K don’t have much value for gaming. In the end it comes down to around $100 cost difference and 100 MHz, at that point most of us will pick the Intel Core I5-2500K.

Also I would advise that you pick a solid HSF like the 212 + if you are going to overclock.

Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team
  3. DXRick said:

2. Get a 6950 instead.

Thanks a lot for the fast answer,

do I get a 6950 1g or 2g willl I ever see the difference ??
  4. IntelEnthusiast said:

Also I would advise that you pick a solid HSF like the 212 + if you are going to overclock.
    Christian Wood
    Intel Enthusiast Team

Hi Christian, thanks for answer that fast.

What do you think of that one :

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7
  5. Best answer
    Sink the $100 in savings from a 2600k to a 2500k into a beefier GPU.

With this budget, we could part a build for you that includes Crossfired 6950s. It's overkill for gaming on one monitor (unless you are at 2560x1600 resolution). Just sayin'...

A full-sized board will give you proper spacing for two GPUs. It is recommended there be one (unused) slot between them.

A quality 750 watt unit will be sufficient for a CPU overclock and overclocked, Crossfired GPUs.

Look at directcanada.com. Their prices beat newegg.ca and ncix.com and they have free shipping on all orders over $50. If you like I can put together a list for you in a few hours when I get off work. Just tell me one thing...do you want an SSD now or Xfired 6950s?
  6. 2GB 6950 is the way I would go. The extra Gig of memory may come into play for future titles or increased resolutions (Eyefinity, 30" display, etc).
  7. WEll im really interested in the xfire gpu 6950 your proposing but is it too much... for the games I play ???

or 1 GPU at 2g is allright,

and...

I prefer having 2 gpu than 1 SSD... dont really care about a faster OS ... and I heard for a great quality SSD you need to pay 200$ and above... wich i dont have.
  8. MaxWellz said:
    WEll im really interested in the xfire gpu 6950 your proposing but is it too much... for the games I play ???

or 1 GPU at 2g is allright,

and...

I prefer having 2 gpu than 1 SSD... dont really care about a faster OS ... and I heard for a great quality SSD you need to pay 200$ and above... wich i dont have.

It is overkill. But it can be worked into your budget. I'm understanding it's $1500, correct? At this time, who knows what BF3 will take to run good frame rates at max settings. I didn't see it listed, but I'm going to assume that title appeals you you also. An SSD can be worked in...but if not, we can get this down to around $1000. Do you need a monitor or OS? Any other peripherals?
  9. Sorry you didnt get all the information,

here my present build with the change you guyz submitted.

Intel Core i5-2500k
    ASUS P8P67 PRO
    XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    CORSAIR HX-SERIES CMPSU 750W
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 +
    ASUS 24x dvd-burner
    ASUS 24inch HDMI 1080p
    keyboard & mouse

total; 1517$ taxes in, all newegg.
  10. Nice build!
  11. MaxWellz said:
    Sorry you didnt get all the information,

here my present build with the change you guyz submitted.

Intel Core i5-2500k
    ASUS P8P67 PRO
    XFX Radeon HD 6950 2GB
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    CORSAIR HX-SERIES CMPSU 750W
    CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB
    COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 +
    ASUS 24x dvd-burner
    ASUS 24inch HDMI 1080p
    keyboard & mouse

total; 1517$ taxes in, all newegg.

That's a pretty solid build. What keyboard and mouse do you have picked out? How much is shipping?
  12. thx guyz, it got really nice with your help :)

Its a really cheap keyboard n mouse 10$ lite-on keyboard and 15$ logitech 3button mouse
  13. MaxWellz said:
    thx guyz, it got really nice with your help :)

my e-mail is

, i can e-mail you the cart if you guyz are interested.

Its a really cheap keyboard n mouse 10$ lite-on keyboard and 15$ logitech 3button mouse

Edit out your email. You'll be happy with your build. Let us know if you have any issues with assembly. Good luck and enjoy.
  14. Best answer selected by MaxWellz.
Ask a new question

Read More

Build Systems