AMD catalyst 100% GPU usage bug still there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arioch1313

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I dont know what we (the people experiencing this bug) are going to have to do in order to get AMD to fix (not just acknowledge) the 99% GPU usage bug in catalyst.

Today I installed 11.2 to see if they had fixed it yet. It isnt.

For those that dont know. For a significant number of people an odd bug in catalyst means that their GPU (or GPUs) get sort of locked up. After playing in a game or 3d environment of some sort where the GPU is working at high utilisation the utilisation stays the same even when you log out to windows. So you left in windows with your GPU at 99% utilisation. If you try and launch a graphic intensive program following this people get varying results. For me, nothing much happens except I get slightly lower frame rates than usual and the card is hotter. For some people they cant launch anything as it just crashes out.

In my case this usually affects all 3 gpus. (I have a 5870 and 5970 Crossfire in this machine)

AMD have really shown thier commitment to the existing customers since taking over. Given this example, I wont touch them again. I just put my 2 cards up for sale cheap as they are useless to me and am going to change to match my UK PCs 2 580s as they give me no grief other than some heat issues which I can deal with.

Lately more and more games are demanding the latest release to run well. But I am stuck on 10.11. AMD are getting crucified in forums for Games like Rift where performance of their flagship hardware is frankly diabolical and the lack of velocity in getting a resolution combined with this issue I mention here makes you embarassed you were foolish enough to buy their product This problem has been raised for months on the AMD forums. I have seen people saying thier account was blocked and thier post deleted by the moderator in my travels as I have been looking everywhere for a workaround or solution before making the decision to get rid of this poorly supported product.

Please post here if your also experiencing the 99% GPU issue. Make sure you check if your getting some odd issues. In my case it was a while before I noticed the problem. Just thought the driver had a wierd glitch keeping the fans up until I noticed the slow down in the second game I launched and started checking why.

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Wow.... Well this bug is a new one to me, and 3 of my systems run AMD hardware. While this seems like a spam/troll post, for the sake of argument, could you actually post some links to the people stating their account was blocked and their post deleted on the AMD forums, along with a few other links to back up your other claims? Just saying, it helps to back up your claims when you provide evidence and all.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I have read of the 100 percent gpu bug before, maybe on Steam forums or something. Oh well...

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Yeah I really had to think about it, then I googled it, and yeah the complaint I read about the bug was def on the Steam forums. At any rate, it doesn't affect me or anyone I know, so meh, whatever. Cant be that widespread.

Arioch1313

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I really hope the many people that do not have the post dont feel the need to justify AMD's shortcomings on this particular problem or its going to be a long thread.

I dont appreciate being called a troll because I have a manufacturer induced problem. I suppose by that logic all the people I have seen complaining about the sandybridge recall are trolls in your view too. Your entitled to your opinion but its one I dont share being a man of reasonable considered opinions I find it hard to justify AMDs record of poor driver releases. Its not like this is news to anyone. While I still buy (or was buying) the products, I am fully aware of the limitations, it is just that this issue has been outstanding unresolve for longer than I can accept.

I dont really feel the need to justify myself, look it up on steam, there is another new one on the AMD forums I saw last night. Do what you like its reasonably common. I posted looking for assistance or a workaround not complaints from people trying to actually justify it. This was supposed to be being worked on for some time now but its gone very quiet. Regardless, it wont be my problem for much longer. I buy a lot of equipment both for myself as I live between homes and countries and for my businesses. Even as a hobby I dont have time for this nonsense. If anyone has experience of this problem and has managed to provide a work around or solution I would still be interested.

Arioch1313

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I really hope the many people that do not have the post dont feel the need to justify AMD's shortcomings on this particular problem or its going to be a long thread.

I dont appreciate being called a troll because I have a manufacturer induced problem. I suppose by that logic all the people I have seen complaining about the sandybridge recall are trolls in your view too. Your entitled to your opinion but its one I dont share being a man of reasonable considered opinions I find it hard to justify AMDs record of poor driver releases. Its not like this is news to anyone. While I still buy (or was buying) the products, I am fully aware of the limitations, it is just that this issue has been outstanding unresolve for longer than I can accept.

I dont really feel the need to justify myself, look it up on steam, there is another new one on the AMD forums I saw last night. Do what you like its reasonably common. I posted looking for assistance or a workaround not complaints from people trying to actually justify it. This was supposed to be being worked on for some time now but its gone very quiet. Regardless, it wont be my problem for much longer. I buy a lot of equipment both for myself as I live between homes and countries and for my businesses. Even as a hobby I dont have time for this nonsense. If anyone has experience of this problem and has managed to provide a work around or solution I would still be interested.

gravitynoise

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Same thing happens to me. Running 2 XFX 5870s in crossfire with 11.2. After gaming for a bit, both GPUs are pegged at 99% My whole system becomes unstable, which I'm guessing is due to heat. The only fix I have found isn't really a fix. Either restart, or set the fans to 75% manually. Setting the fans this high keeps the temps down, but is very annoying... LOUD! I also flashed the BIOS on the cards with no change in results >.< Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Well to be honest it crossed my mind just because it was your very first post, and you had mentioned AMD kicking people off their forums and what not. Usually when people make strong serious allegations like that they provide proof, not just a rant, and I still would not mind getting links to that so I could read up on it... As I had said though, yeah, read about a similar issue on Steam. As I had also said, never happened to me, and for that matter, anyone I know. That and I dont see people swarming this thread to confirm they have said issue too. While I don't doubt there is some kinda bug, I doubt its widespread, but I am sorry you are having said problems. Good luck finding a fix either way. If nothing else, you can always gear over to Nvidia.

This is also the first time i have heard of it as well. Have you had this happen with any non-steam games? Some of the games have been glitchy lately, i had a hell of a time getting magicka to work properly, theres a chance the games arent shutting down properly.

Could you post links to threads of other people experiencing this issue? Seems much more likely that its a bad software interaction than a problem with the drivers alone or everyone would experience it and that obviously isnt the case.

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
I am happy,in an odd way, to see this post. i have 2 asus 5870s in separate builds which just started this 'spontaneous' full load lock bug. i have noticed it since 10.10 as well though it may have started earlier in one. i am at 11.2 in both and it only began in one this week and had not occurred prior and i use it daily. the other one just awoke from a sleep state and jumped directly to full 99% from sleep. funny thing is that it doesnt get all too hot even though i didnt really notice it for some time leveled out at 43 or 43C. i am using msi afterburner2.1 with no volt control,

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010

i am not a ranter but noted this post . i have been experiencing this anomaly , basically since i moved up to ccc10.10 maybe. only in one machine- i have 2 builds i made very similar in composition with 5870s in each, phenom II in each and gigabyte 790xta 890fxa and 8gigs of ram in each.
regardless of what i am doing, they will just lock in to 99% load i have msi afterburner, latest release also, in each. i thought it might be connected to that until i read this thread today. i had thought about a driver (ccc) connection but since i update that regularly within a day or so of the new release and had not heard of it until today, i passed it off. I have done complete diagnostics on each computer and find no issues in either. the fact that it has happened in both , now, made me concerned. it took longer to surface in the one i use more often.
only a reboot resolves it, the driver updates have seemed to make it worse or more frequent in one and first occurrence in the other after installation of 11.2. i dont know if it has anything to do with the app , open cl or any of that sdk stuff, i am not very adept at anything more than mechanical things.

johnniedoo

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2010
i had read other 99% load use from other 5xxx lines too. not much out on this issue that i have noticed. i thought i had the only one, till my 2nd computer just started the same nonsense today (3/5) that is why i just started to look around. i have had all kinds of little things with the 5870 and it cost more than the last 3 i had bought, combined. and, it wasnt a whole lot better than the 4670 i had. better, of course, but not a few hundred bucks better. live and learn. other than that, it does everything ok and not many real bad crashes. a reboot fixes this, so far but it just shouldnt be happening in the first place. did i mention, it runs at 99% and for how long, i only know when i see it because it never gets all too hot so the fan isnt running too fast or id notice it sooner. i would think that full blast would generate more than 42C-44C temp. it gets much hotter than that during times i make bios changes and it takes a long time to fully boot up. will get as hot as 50C then.

Arioch1313

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
I dont have MSI afterburner. Tried taking out the 5970 and just using the 5870 then reinstalled 11.2 Same problem. Put them both in again and went back to 10.11 and all is well again. Dont get the improvements included in the later patches but at least it works with the older games I was playing untill my new cards turn up in a few days.

crusader9

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2011
I too have issues since upgrading to 10.12 and 11.2. I'm running an ATI 5850 / Win 7 x64.

I have experienced the problem outside of running games (for instance running iTunes to watch Mad Money podcasts seems to be sufficient to trigger the problem).

My GPU Observer gadget spikes to 99% and remains there until the system is rebooted. Logging out of windows and logging back in does not resolve it.

Clearly its a driver bug that was introduced, I have been running the 5850 for over a year without issue and only experienced after using CCC 10.12

I've also unisntalled all AMD drivers except CCC And the display driver to no avail. This issue is also well documented on Guru3d's forum called "10.12 drivers 100% GPU at desktop"

roksonixx

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
guys .. this problem has been bugging me for like a week now, i used to notice it coming every now and again but did nothing to really check it out, yet the past few days its been on and off non stop

however

all of today it hasnt happened....and the only thing i've changed is firefox's hardware acceleration to OFF (options -> advanced -> UNCHECK use hardware acceleration when available)

(reboot just to make sure)

then just wait and cross your fingers :)

somehow, for me at least, firefox bugs the gpu into doing 100% load, even when firefox has closed...this problem might be deeprooted in the driver and/or firefox itself because the only way to fix it is a full reboot for me, but even then it came back mutiple times per day

i'll report back on my findings, but so far so good... i hope this helps others, and that it's not just a placebo effect

Arioch1313

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
On the bright side someone bid for these on my auction and I am now taking them off test to box em up. AMD customer service has been absolutely invisible on this, as I hope will any other customer thats having the problem going forward.

kired

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
I have been having the same issue as will with a 5870. After doing some troubleshooting/observation I think it may be related to the displays going to sleep. I disabled that and the problem hasn't returned the past few days. Might be worth a shot for those having this issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.