Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

AMD catalyst 100% GPU usage bug still there!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 3, 2011 11:10:52 AM

I dont know what we (the people experiencing this bug) are going to have to do in order to get AMD to fix (not just acknowledge) the 99% GPU usage bug in catalyst.

Today I installed 11.2 to see if they had fixed it yet. It isnt.

For those that dont know. For a significant number of people an odd bug in catalyst means that their GPU (or GPUs) get sort of locked up. After playing in a game or 3d environment of some sort where the GPU is working at high utilisation the utilisation stays the same even when you log out to windows. So you left in windows with your GPU at 99% utilisation. If you try and launch a graphic intensive program following this people get varying results. For me, nothing much happens except I get slightly lower frame rates than usual and the card is hotter. For some people they cant launch anything as it just crashes out.

In my case this usually affects all 3 gpus. (I have a 5870 and 5970 Crossfire in this machine)

AMD have really shown thier commitment to the existing customers since taking over. Given this example, I wont touch them again. I just put my 2 cards up for sale cheap as they are useless to me and am going to change to match my UK PCs 2 580s as they give me no grief other than some heat issues which I can deal with.

Lately more and more games are demanding the latest release to run well. But I am stuck on 10.11. AMD are getting crucified in forums for Games like Rift where performance of their flagship hardware is frankly diabolical and the lack of velocity in getting a resolution combined with this issue I mention here makes you embarassed you were foolish enough to buy their product This problem has been raised for months on the AMD forums. I have seen people saying thier account was blocked and thier post deleted by the moderator in my travels as I have been looking everywhere for a workaround or solution before making the decision to get rid of this poorly supported product.

Please post here if your also experiencing the 99% GPU issue. Make sure you check if your getting some odd issues. In my case it was a while before I noticed the problem. Just thought the driver had a wierd glitch keeping the fans up until I noticed the slow down in the second game I launched and started checking why.
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2011 11:19:24 AM

Wow.... Well this bug is a new one to me, and 3 of my systems run AMD hardware. While this seems like a spam/troll post, for the sake of argument, could you actually post some links to the people stating their account was blocked and their post deleted on the AMD forums, along with a few other links to back up your other claims? Just saying, it helps to back up your claims when you provide evidence and all.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I have read of the 100 percent gpu bug before, maybe on Steam forums or something. Oh well...
Score
0
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 3, 2011 1:49:26 PM

well i have never heard of this before, running ati on 3 different machines at the moment....
Score
0
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
March 3, 2011 2:13:35 PM

Kari said:
well i have never heard of this before, running ati on 3 different machines at the moment....


Yeah I really had to think about it, then I googled it, and yeah the complaint I read about the bug was def on the Steam forums. At any rate, it doesn't affect me or anyone I know, so meh, whatever. Cant be that widespread.
Score
0
March 4, 2011 1:22:06 PM

I really hope the many people that do not have the post dont feel the need to justify AMD's shortcomings on this particular problem or its going to be a long thread.

I dont appreciate being called a troll because I have a manufacturer induced problem. I suppose by that logic all the people I have seen complaining about the sandybridge recall are trolls in your view too. Your entitled to your opinion but its one I dont share being a man of reasonable considered opinions I find it hard to justify AMDs record of poor driver releases. Its not like this is news to anyone. While I still buy (or was buying) the products, I am fully aware of the limitations, it is just that this issue has been outstanding unresolve for longer than I can accept.

I dont really feel the need to justify myself, look it up on steam, there is another new one on the AMD forums I saw last night. Do what you like its reasonably common. I posted looking for assistance or a workaround not complaints from people trying to actually justify it. This was supposed to be being worked on for some time now but its gone very quiet. Regardless, it wont be my problem for much longer. I buy a lot of equipment both for myself as I live between homes and countries and for my businesses. Even as a hobby I dont have time for this nonsense. If anyone has experience of this problem and has managed to provide a work around or solution I would still be interested.
Score
0
March 4, 2011 1:34:30 PM

I really hope the many people that do not have the post dont feel the need to justify AMD's shortcomings on this particular problem or its going to be a long thread.

I dont appreciate being called a troll because I have a manufacturer induced problem. I suppose by that logic all the people I have seen complaining about the sandybridge recall are trolls in your view too. Your entitled to your opinion but its one I dont share being a man of reasonable considered opinions I find it hard to justify AMDs record of poor driver releases. Its not like this is news to anyone. While I still buy (or was buying) the products, I am fully aware of the limitations, it is just that this issue has been outstanding unresolve for longer than I can accept.

I dont really feel the need to justify myself, look it up on steam, there is another new one on the AMD forums I saw last night. Do what you like its reasonably common. I posted looking for assistance or a workaround not complaints from people trying to actually justify it. This was supposed to be being worked on for some time now but its gone very quiet. Regardless, it wont be my problem for much longer. I buy a lot of equipment both for myself as I live between homes and countries and for my businesses. Even as a hobby I dont have time for this nonsense. If anyone has experience of this problem and has managed to provide a work around or solution I would still be interested.
Score
0
March 4, 2011 3:48:10 PM

Same thing happens to me. Running 2 XFX 5870s in crossfire with 11.2. After gaming for a bit, both GPUs are pegged at 99% My whole system becomes unstable, which I'm guessing is due to heat. The only fix I have found isn't really a fix. Either restart, or set the fans to 75% manually. Setting the fans this high keeps the temps down, but is very annoying... LOUD! I also flashed the BIOS on the cards with no change in results >.< Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 4, 2011 5:12:13 PM

Arioch1313 said:
I really hope the many people that do not have the post dont feel the need to justify AMD's shortcomings on this particular problem or its going to be a long thread.

I dont appreciate being called a troll because I have a manufacturer induced problem. I suppose by that logic all the people I have seen complaining about the sandybridge recall are trolls in your view too. Your entitled to your opinion but its one I dont share being a man of reasonable considered opinions I find it hard to justify AMDs record of poor driver releases. Its not like this is news to anyone. While I still buy (or was buying) the products, I am fully aware of the limitations, it is just that this issue has been outstanding unresolve for longer than I can accept.

I dont really feel the need to justify myself, look it up on steam, there is another new one on the AMD forums I saw last night. Do what you like its reasonably common. I posted looking for assistance or a workaround not complaints from people trying to actually justify it. This was supposed to be being worked on for some time now but its gone very quiet. Regardless, it wont be my problem for much longer. I buy a lot of equipment both for myself as I live between homes and countries and for my businesses. Even as a hobby I dont have time for this nonsense. If anyone has experience of this problem and has managed to provide a work around or solution I would still be interested.



Well to be honest it crossed my mind just because it was your very first post, and you had mentioned AMD kicking people off their forums and what not. Usually when people make strong serious allegations like that they provide proof, not just a rant, and I still would not mind getting links to that so I could read up on it... As I had said though, yeah, read about a similar issue on Steam. As I had also said, never happened to me, and for that matter, anyone I know. That and I dont see people swarming this thread to confirm they have said issue too. While I don't doubt there is some kinda bug, I doubt its widespread, but I am sorry you are having said problems. Good luck finding a fix either way. If nothing else, you can always gear over to Nvidia.
Score
0
a c 194 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 4, 2011 5:14:12 PM

This is also the first time i have heard of it as well. Have you had this happen with any non-steam games? Some of the games have been glitchy lately, i had a hell of a time getting magicka to work properly, theres a chance the games arent shutting down properly.

Could you post links to threads of other people experiencing this issue? Seems much more likely that its a bad software interaction than a problem with the drivers alone or everyone would experience it and that obviously isnt the case.
Score
0
March 4, 2011 5:18:35 PM

Even maziar one of the mods has this problem.This is not a troll post.
Score
0
March 6, 2011 12:06:13 AM

I am happy,in an odd way, to see this post. i have 2 asus 5870s in separate builds which just started this 'spontaneous' full load lock bug. i have noticed it since 10.10 as well though it may have started earlier in one. i am at 11.2 in both and it only began in one this week and had not occurred prior and i use it daily. the other one just awoke from a sleep state and jumped directly to full 99% from sleep. funny thing is that it doesnt get all too hot even though i didnt really notice it for some time leveled out at 43 or 43C. i am using msi afterburner2.1 with no volt control,




Arioch1313 said:
I dont know what we (the people experiencing this bug) are going to have to do in order to get AMD to fix (not just acknowledge) the 99% GPU usage bug in catalyst.

Today I installed 11.2 to see if they had fixed it yet. It isnt.

For those that dont know. For a significant number of people an odd bug in catalyst means that their GPU (or GPUs) get sort of locked up. After playing in a game or 3d environment of some sort where the GPU is working at high utilisation the utilisation stays the same even when you log out to windows. So you left in windows with your GPU at 99% utilisation. If you try and launch a graphic intensive program following this people get varying results. For me, nothing much happens except I get slightly lower frame rates than usual and the card is hotter. For some people they cant launch anything as it just crashes out.

In my case this usually affects all 3 gpus. (I have a 5870 and 5970 Crossfire in this machine)

AMD have really shown thier commitment to the existing customers since taking over. Given this example, I wont touch them again. I just put my 2 cards up for sale cheap as they are useless to me and am going to change to match my UK PCs 2 580s as they give me no grief other than some heat issues which I can deal with.

Lately more and more games are demanding the latest release to run well. But I am stuck on 10.11. AMD are getting crucified in forums for Games like Rift where performance of their flagship hardware is frankly diabolical and the lack of velocity in getting a resolution combined with this issue I mention here makes you embarassed you were foolish enough to buy their product This problem has been raised for months on the AMD forums. I have seen people saying thier account was blocked and thier post deleted by the moderator in my travels as I have been looking everywhere for a workaround or solution before making the decision to get rid of this poorly supported product.

Please post here if your also experiencing the 99% GPU issue. Make sure you check if your getting some odd issues. In my case it was a while before I noticed the problem. Just thought the driver had a wierd glitch keeping the fans up until I noticed the slow down in the second game I launched and started checking why.

Score
0
March 6, 2011 12:15:41 AM

professorprofessorson said:
Well to be honest it crossed my mind just because it was your very first post, and you had mentioned AMD kicking people off their forums and what not. Usually when people make strong serious allegations like that they provide proof, not just a rant, and I still would not mind getting links to that so I could read up on it... As I had said though, yeah, read about a similar issue on Steam. As I had also said, never happened to me, and for that matter, anyone I know. That and I dont see people swarming this thread to confirm they have said issue too. While I don't doubt there is some kinda bug, I doubt its widespread, but I am sorry you are having said problems. Good luck finding a fix either way. If nothing else, you can always gear over to Nvidia.


i am not a ranter but noted this post . i have been experiencing this anomaly , basically since i moved up to ccc10.10 maybe. only in one machine- i have 2 builds i made very similar in composition with 5870s in each, phenom II in each and gigabyte 790xta 890fxa and 8gigs of ram in each.
regardless of what i am doing, they will just lock in to 99% load i have msi afterburner, latest release also, in each. i thought it might be connected to that until i read this thread today. i had thought about a driver (ccc) connection but since i update that regularly within a day or so of the new release and had not heard of it until today, i passed it off. I have done complete diagnostics on each computer and find no issues in either. the fact that it has happened in both , now, made me concerned. it took longer to surface in the one i use more often.
only a reboot resolves it, the driver updates have seemed to make it worse or more frequent in one and first occurrence in the other after installation of 11.2. i dont know if it has anything to do with the app , open cl or any of that sdk stuff, i am not very adept at anything more than mechanical things.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
March 6, 2011 12:26:08 AM

I wonder if this bug is related to 5870/5970 use. Seems like you guys that are suffering this problem are all using those particular cards.
Score
0
March 6, 2011 1:15:45 AM

i had read other 99% load use from other 5xxx lines too. not much out on this issue that i have noticed. i thought i had the only one, till my 2nd computer just started the same nonsense today (3/5) that is why i just started to look around. i have had all kinds of little things with the 5870 and it cost more than the last 3 i had bought, combined. and, it wasnt a whole lot better than the 4670 i had. better, of course, but not a few hundred bucks better. live and learn. other than that, it does everything ok and not many real bad crashes. a reboot fixes this, so far but it just shouldnt be happening in the first place. did i mention, it runs at 99% and for how long, i only know when i see it because it never gets all too hot so the fan isnt running too fast or id notice it sooner. i would think that full blast would generate more than 42C-44C temp. it gets much hotter than that during times i make bios changes and it takes a long time to fully boot up. will get as hot as 50C then.
Score
0
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 6, 2011 1:36:16 PM

and seems like everyone who has this bug is also running msi afterburner, see what happens if you uninstall it. CCC will also show the temps and loads...
Score
0
March 6, 2011 9:01:26 PM

I dont have MSI afterburner. Tried taking out the 5970 and just using the 5870 then reinstalled 11.2 Same problem. Put them both in again and went back to 10.11 and all is well again. Dont get the improvements included in the later patches but at least it works with the older games I was playing untill my new cards turn up in a few days.
Score
0
March 7, 2011 4:25:40 PM

Just tired without Afterburner.

Still got the bug. Monitoring it in AMD System Monitor.
Score
0
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 7, 2011 4:56:52 PM

it was bit of a long shot anyways, just something that caught my eye in those two threads in the amd forums I found...
Score
0
March 9, 2011 11:09:01 PM

Still have the issue... not using afterburner either. Hopefully 11.3 will fix the problem.
Score
0
March 16, 2011 1:26:23 AM

I too have issues since upgrading to 10.12 and 11.2. I'm running an ATI 5850 / Win 7 x64.

I have experienced the problem outside of running games (for instance running iTunes to watch Mad Money podcasts seems to be sufficient to trigger the problem).

My GPU Observer gadget spikes to 99% and remains there until the system is rebooted. Logging out of windows and logging back in does not resolve it.

Clearly its a driver bug that was introduced, I have been running the 5850 for over a year without issue and only experienced after using CCC 10.12

I've also unisntalled all AMD drivers except CCC And the display driver to no avail. This issue is also well documented on Guru3d's forum called "10.12 drivers 100% GPU at desktop"
Score
0
March 16, 2011 10:07:11 PM

guys .. this problem has been bugging me for like a week now, i used to notice it coming every now and again but did nothing to really check it out, yet the past few days its been on and off non stop

however

all of today it hasnt happened....and the only thing i've changed is firefox's hardware acceleration to OFF (options -> advanced -> UNCHECK use hardware acceleration when available)

(reboot just to make sure)

then just wait and cross your fingers :) 

somehow, for me at least, firefox bugs the gpu into doing 100% load, even when firefox has closed...this problem might be deeprooted in the driver and/or firefox itself because the only way to fix it is a full reboot for me, but even then it came back mutiple times per day

i'll report back on my findings, but so far so good... i hope this helps others, and that it's not just a placebo effect
Score
0
March 17, 2011 12:48:05 AM

Damn, thanks for the suggestion!.

I tried this and the other solutions discussed. It didnt work for me.
Score
0
March 17, 2011 12:55:35 AM

On the bright side someone bid for these on my auction and I am now taking them off test to box em up. AMD customer service has been absolutely invisible on this, as I hope will any other customer thats having the problem going forward.
Score
0
March 17, 2011 4:40:18 PM

I have been having the same issue as will with a 5870. After doing some troubleshooting/observation I think it may be related to the displays going to sleep. I disabled that and the problem hasn't returned the past few days. Might be worth a shot for those having this issue.
Score
0
March 17, 2011 5:29:53 PM

I have the same issue. 5850

I am using dual monitor may be that have some linkage to the problem

I will try turn off sleep for monitors and see if it fixes the prob.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 17, 2011 5:43:44 PM

This sounds a bit like the GSOD issue that according to AMD/ATi didn't exist but was later fixed in a driver release.
Score
0
March 17, 2011 5:56:03 PM

no its not that

driver doesnt crash, like restarting. Its just stuck at something, and takes lot of time when switching to fullscreen and back, but doesnt crash. Actually if you make it crash
and recover it restores normal work, and 100% load bug disapears.

otherwise only restart helps

I am starting to think its Firefox/Flash bug actually or related
Need to test if I can reproduce it with IE
Score
0
March 17, 2011 5:56:40 PM

Also its not REAL 100% usage because it doesnt afffect game performance.

Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
March 17, 2011 5:59:16 PM

rawsteel said:
no its not that

driver doesnt crash, like restarting. Its just stuck at something, and takes lot of time when switching to fullscreen and back, but doesnt crash. Actually if you make it crash
and recover it restores normal work, and 100% load bug disapears.

otherwise only restart helps

I am starting to think its Firefox/Flash bug actually or related
Need to test if I can reproduce it with IE

I meant in regards to the problem not existing because the first respondents to this thread simply stated that as they hadn't experienced it, it doesn't exist.
Score
0
March 17, 2011 7:19:07 PM

i personally think it's a problem with the new hardware acceleration apps like firefox 4 beta and flash,

disabling my hardware acceleration in the browser itself and in flash fixed this problem 100% for me, not had the bug in over 24 hours now (whereas before it was mutiple times per day)

sorry to all those that are still experiencing this problem =(
Score
0
March 18, 2011 10:44:52 PM

not so much.

Score
0
March 20, 2011 1:51:01 AM

Up until now I have been able to reproduce simply by watching podcats on itunes right from a cold system boot with no other system activity/load.

Anyone who's experiencing the (artificial?) GPU load issue should try to disable windows service "AMD External Events Utility", it REQUIRES a reboot. I read a post elsewhere that says this service (which is actually some kind of ATI hotkey detection service) causes "crashes or Reset-loop-until-reboot problems".

I've disabled it, and am crossing my fingers - no further incidents yet but its still pretty early to tell.


Update: GPU issue has since reoccurred
Score
0
March 20, 2011 12:20:32 PM

Yet another possible fix, Catalyst 11.4 early preview release:

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=340227

AMD has not documented this specific issue is fixed, but this one does look more positive as I have NOT yet been able to reproduce for a good 12 hours which is an exceptional length of time for this issue not to reappear. Some users have posted on guru3d however that they still have the issue so I guess its up to you to decide!
Score
0
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
March 30, 2011 9:05:43 PM

I also have had this problem and only noticed it due to card temperatures going to 59 degrees whilst merely browsing the Internet. However, I did notice that pages with flash etc seemed to start the problem. I have resolved it by not using hardware acceleration in Firefox 4. You could just use Chrome and you should not have a problem. As others have noted this bug is not widely known for some reason. The 11.4 beta drivers did not fix it either!!!
Score
0
April 5, 2011 7:39:46 PM

I have also had this problem, even though I only use IE9 and not fierfox or chrome or whatever. I noticed the fan on my 5830 cranking up and then checked out my GPU load gadget and it said 100 percent and burning close to 50 degrees. Mind you, the card gets way hotter than that when I am playing games but it usually idles in the high 30s for me with the fan barely on. The only way I could fix it was by doing a reboot.
Score
0
April 9, 2011 11:48:08 AM

roksonixx said:
i personally think it's a problem with the new hardware acceleration apps like firefox 4 beta and flash,

disabling my hardware acceleration in the browser itself and in flash fixed this problem 100% for me, not had the bug in over 24 hours now (whereas before it was mutiple times per day)

sorry to all those that are still experiencing this problem =(



I sold my card but I was actually having the whatever browser i was using. IE etc made no difference. Could well be linked to flash though. In the end before I sold the cards I was trying an early pre release of version 4 after trying every driver since 10.11 onwards. As far as I could tell the problem didnt exist before either 10.11 or maybe even 10.12 I dont quite remember. Its been there a long time and it doesnt look like AMD are doing anything about it.

I really hope they fix it for you guys. As far as I could tell AMD have no interest in customer care whatsoever.
Score
0
April 10, 2011 7:24:08 AM

I also have this issue with my Saphire 5830, GPU usage is at 99%, I tried overclocking and underclocking to see if there would be any difference and there isn't. What's weird though is that I am pretty sure my temps aren't any higher, My card usually idles from 45-50 depending on ambient temps.

I have also had some issues where the drivers will crash, it has only happened once while I was gaming but it will happen once in a while when I am watching a movie using VLC or WMP in Windows 7. The screen goes black for a little bit then windows aero goes away and in my taskbar it says AMD drivers have crashed, I have tried switching drivers and it happens a little more or little less.

I tried using windows classic mode with the good old windows 98 look for a few days and nothing has happened until like 15 minutes ago, the screen went black for like 10-15 seconds then goes back to normal except it didn't say in the taskbar that the drivers crashed, Also there was sound playing and everything was running fine while the screen was black.

I really am getting sick of ATI here, especially after seeing these Nvidia VS. ATI benchmarks. My 5830 is working great in games though but only if I overclock it to 925/1300.

Anyone have any idea if this is just an error with MSI Afterburner showing it at 99% because my temps are the same or if something really is going on let me know,

Thanks!
Score
0
April 14, 2011 5:13:05 PM

I found a solution last night while just checking out the catalyst software. My fans were at around 30%, then I installed catalyst and about 10hours later, my fans suddenly jumped to 100% and stayed that way for the longest time. I just figured it was something i had changed. Anyway, I went to performance in catalyst, unlocked my GPU, and clicked defaults in the bottom left corner of the performance window, almost instantly, my fans dropped back down to 30% and have been there ever since. Hope this works for others!!

**My card is a Radeon 6870 Power Color**

P.S. When i unlocked my gpu, I didn't actually tamper with any of the settings just simply clicked defaults

If someone else already posted this, I'm sorry for the repeat. If anyone needs more details as to what i did just ask :D 
Score
0
April 15, 2011 1:26:12 PM

roksonixx said:
guys .. this problem has been bugging me for like a week now, i used to notice it coming every now and again but did nothing to really check it out, yet the past few days its been on and off non stop

however

all of today it hasnt happened....and the only thing i've changed is firefox's hardware acceleration to OFF (options -> advanced -> UNCHECK use hardware acceleration when available)

(reboot just to make sure)

then just wait and cross your fingers :) 

somehow, for me at least, firefox bugs the gpu into doing 100% load, even when firefox has closed...this problem might be deeprooted in the driver and/or firefox itself because the only way to fix it is a full reboot for me, but even then it came back mutiple times per day

i'll report back on my findings, but so far so good... i hope this helps others, and that it's not just a placebo effect


This solution worked for my 5830. I had recently upgraded drivers from 10.x to 11.3. I noticed this problem too, GPU pegging at 99% and higher temps in my gadget. I also noticed the clock and % settings jump around depending on what web page I happened to have up. Ones with a bunch of video and other visual spam make the clock jump from typical 157Mhz/300Mhz to 800/1000 or other varying settings.
I thought it was the 11.3 drivers too until I read this post and realized I only saw the problem appear a few days after I upgraded the drivers, which was the day I upgraded FF from 3x to 4.0.

After turning off hardware accelartion in FF. My gadget now shows 157/300 and 0-2% GPU at the desktop all the time. No matter what pages I view in FF, which is the behavior I expect and what I had the months before while I've been using this card.
Score
0
a c 84 U Graphics card
a b À AMD
April 27, 2011 5:45:36 PM

looks like they fixed it
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1984/ATI_Catalyst_...
Resolved Issues for the Windows 7 Operating System
This section provides information on resolved known issues in this release of the AMD Catalyst 11.4 software suite for Windows 7. These include:

* The GPU no longer shows high GPU usage after running Firefox 4 with hardware acceleration enabled.
Score
0
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
February 12, 2013 12:03:24 AM

Hi to all There ..
Have a 6850 win 7 64 and also mhad the 90% gpu load issue / Catalist Bug

I have just unnistalled CCC and its working fine again .. report from gpuz and other. i am using the latest driver with out CCC.

for me its worked , now i need something like ATI Tray Tool or ATI Tool in order to Fan Control..
I am really hopping AMD /ATI fixes This

hope this helps :o 
Score
0
March 12, 2013 11:04:45 PM

Hi !
I am also having trouble with my 6770 Card. It runs at full speed without any graphics application running. As I start my PC it starts to run at 96-100% on its own. This problem starts when i upgraded from Catalyst version 13.1 to 13.2 beta. When I opened GPU-Z to see my GPU activity, it said that Open CL stopped working and a bug is there in my drivers.

I Dont know what is this but I have installed fresh windows and its still the same situation what can I do now ? Can anybody help please ?

Thanks in advance !!
Score
0
!