Intel i7 990x is it future proof??

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011
Hi, I have Intel i7 990x, I seen couple of rumours about amd bulldozer & intel ivy bridge, my question is that is i7 990x is future proof would it last me for like 5 or 6 years to come or shall I upgrade my CPU to better than 990x I mean technologies you cant keep up with them it's just I don't want to be left be behind of technologies, plus don't like wasting money either I'm stuck in middle. I have very good decent rig everything I have top end.

Shall I keep as it is what I have no need for upgrade?

Umbongo

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2008
You aren't going to be left behind. What you have hasn't even been replaced yet, you have the latest high-end Intel single socket CPU. There won't be major performance gains over what you have for 2-3 years. You can probably skip LGA 2011 altogether if this is just for play.

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008

He mentions around 5 years, so I guess that's what he means. Def the next 2-3 years should be ok.....but then, it's hard to predict.

has1

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2011

I don't no, maybe, like 3 or 4 years I mean, I don't wanna waste money pluss I know LGA 2011 is around corner that will be better then 1366 and I just upgrade my rig 4 months ago with 1366 then I heard LGA 2011 is coming soon I was angry really can't keep up

jdw_swb

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2008
It's not really about keeping up with the new technology, more about keeping up with the demands of the software you are using.

If gaming is your thing, then look and see if your CPU is providing you with the performance you want. I have a friend on a Q6600 oc'd to 3.4ghz......sure, it's a fair bit slower than my 2500k @ 4.5ghz, but we both have HD6870 cards, and at 1080p, the fps difference isn't that much, not really worth him upgrading in both mine and his opinion.

There is no way you need to worry about your 990x, you have an awesome cpu, so stop fretting and just enjoy your powerful machine.

RussK1

Splendid
I'm sure everyone would unanimously agree that the 990X is way over-priced but it is a monster... if I had that money to spend, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. For bragging rights if anything.

While I hope AMD does well with Bulldozer it's highly unlikely it'll surpass any of the Gulftown cpu's nor the Sandy Bridge i7. AMD needs to hit a homerun here or Intels prices are going to get even more outrageous and thus raping the comsumer even more. Competition is good... we need more!

All in all, you're golden... keep the 990X and don't look back.

Russ

TRENDING THREADS