Advice on new Build to run 3D applications for under $1100.

Godhand Phemto

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date:
Within the next Month or so.

Budget Range:
The Cheaper the better, but willing to go up to $1200

System Usage from Most to Least Important:
- Using 3D applications such as Maya, Mudbox Etc
- Some gaming
- Surfing the Net and Media streaming.

Parts Not Required:
Completely new Build, need everything.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts:
Newegg

Country of Origin:
United States

Parts Preferences:
None really but I heard a Intel based build would be better suited for my needs.

Overclocking:
Yes

SLI or Crossfire:
Yes (Might use it down the line later)

Monitor Resolution: (1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200)
I need a somewhat big monitor to better work on my models.

Additional Comments:
Im a aspiring 3D art student whos trying to make a decent build to run 3D applications smoothly, however as with most students im on a strict budget and cant afford most high end parts such as a Quadro Graphics Card even though thats the one everyone recommends. Below is a list of parts I have compiled that I feel might make a decent PC but im really new to the whole Build your own PC scene so I thought i should consult with the experts. Any Advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Any recommendations for peripherals such as KB and Mouse, Wireless card, and monitor would also be nice.

Potential Parts for my new Build:
All Parts are from Newegg
Total Price: $1,038.91

Case:
 NZXT Guardian 921 RB 921RB-001-BL Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window

CPU: 
Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

Cooling Fan:
CORSAIR CWCH60 Hydro Series H60 High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard:
ASUS P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

Memory: 
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory

Video Card: 
EVGA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 01G-P3-1556-KR Video Card

Power Supply:
CORSAIR Gaming Series GS800 800W High Performance Power Supply

Hard Drive: 
Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1.5TB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive: 
ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Solution
Here's my suggestions. Do you need os? The case change was just a personal taste. SB runs pretty cool and you'll hit the multiplier wall before temperature becomes an issue. The hdd you picked looks like it has bad reliability, not a good thing if all you work is on it. 750w is enough for sli 560s.

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP...

festerovic

Distinguished
Personally I think that's a great build for your purposes. Re: the quatro thing - I think the difference between the two series of cards is the drivers. I remember previous drivers that let you install the Quatro stuff on a gaming series cards, might still be possible.

Here's my suggestions. Do you need os? The case change was just a personal taste. SB runs pretty cool and you'll hit the multiplier wall before temperature becomes an issue. The hdd you picked looks like it has bad reliability, not a good thing if all you work is on it. 750w is enough for sli 560s.

LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" 5ms HDMI Full 1080P Widescreen LCD Monitor
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video ...
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 750W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power ...
GIGABYTE GA-P67X-UD3-B3 LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler
Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM
TOTAL: $1,255.90 Shipping Included. Before MIR.

Or you could go with gtx 460 which is better than the 550ti and would only need 650w for sli.

Here's a guide to building a pc. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/274745-31-step-step-guide-building
And here's a SB OC guide. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/265056-29-2600k-2500k-overclocking-guide

Solution

Godhand Phemto

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Thanks for your responses guys :D It's good to know my original choices were actually good ones.

I like some of the changes you mentioned K1114 especially some of the price savings, but can i ask what was the reasoning in choosing some parts over others? Particularly with the Mother Board and Video card, im not really that tech savvy so I wanted to know why those are better choices in your opinion.

I'll just start from the top of my list and go through everything so I don't miss anything. Dvd/cd burner prices change daily, the asus you picked actually changed to a better deal so get that. The case was personal taste and is a good case at the price. If you don't like it, by all means, I can suggest other ones or you can keep the one you picked. The hdd that you picked has bad reliability.

The 550 is really not worth the price, the 460 768mb is better and cheaper or you could go for a 1gb version or even a 560 which is much better. Or go with equivalent amds. I would actually really need to know what games you play, and what would you play later, to pick the best for you. And why "might" you sli/cf?

750w is enough for sli 560. Everything gets squeeshed together on a matx. And you had mentioned a wireless card which will be a problem as sli will block the 2 other pcie slots as well as get in the way of the usb connectors on bottom. The h60 you picked is worse performance than lower priced air coolers; it's really for looks and even a lower priced air cooler is good enough to cool SB. The ram combo is only $5 more for cl8 vs 9 and these also overclock better if you decide to go higher.

You also didn't answer if you needed an os.

Godhand Phemto

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Oh ok that makes sense. As for the games I'll play, im not much of a PC gamer but there are a few games I want to play on it like Amnesia and BF3, BF3 probably being the more graphical demanding game i would get for now.

Weird that the 550 is actually worse than the 460, you would think since its a newer model it would be better. My main concern in choosing a graphics card is making sure its compatible with Maya and Mudbox because i heard some cards caused some issues but i believe those might have been driver issues. As for the "might" sli/cf im not sure if i would need too for anything i do but would like the option in case i do.

Ok so 750w should be enough to power everything then, good to know. And the problem with the MoBo i picked is the space for all the other parts.

Oh and i plan to run Win 7 Pro 64bit on my new rig. Can you think of anything else i might need?

The 400 and 500 series both suffered the same opengl issue with maya. But the drivers have been fixed for a couple of months now. This 5850 might be the best choice to lower the price a bit. http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004W75ATI/ref=dp_olp_new?ie=UTF8&condition=new The only other things you need is mouse, keyboard, and speakers. Since you're not buying it immediately, prices will change so keep a lookout for good deals.

Also seems I never asked if you live by a microcenter, they have the i7 for $280.