Sign in with
Your question

How to build this network design ??

Last response: in Networking
Anonymous
August 14, 2010 10:08:38 AM

Hello.

I'm a network illiterate trying to create a home network with a design like the one in the image. And when I say Home I mean also cheap. Cisco might be the perfect solution for network connectivity and world peace, but I can't afford it.

A, B : RouterB is connected to DSL. Both have wifi enabled and are connected to each other by Ethernet.

#1, #2 : Two PCs, #1 connects via wifi and #2 uses Ethernet. #1 can only use DHCP.
#3, #4 : Two PCs, #4 connects via wifi and #3 uses Ethernet.

My main problem is that the Green group must work always.

Group B can go offline at any given time, but #1 must reliably send data to #2 ALWAYS. I can do that just running this Green group isolated from the Red one ... but that means without internet.

The problem comes when I try to make the Green group have internet access : If I have to disable DHCP in routerA to let RouterB manage that and be able to get internet connection ... and the routerB goes suddenly offline ... then #1 and #2 can't connect, and I can't let that happen.

So ... the way I see it, both groups have to work as independent networks except that Green group must acquire internet connection via RouterB somehow. It would be nice if #1, #2, #3 and #4 could share data, but I'm willing to sacrifice that in order to get a reliable #1 to #2 connection.

Well, thats all. That's my question : how do I make it work ?

More about : build network design

August 14, 2010 6:44:12 PM

Have you tried assigning static IP# to the green group that match the IP scheme of the red group?

This way even if the red group goes of line the green group can still communicate with each other. Use IPs in the 40's because routers usually hand out IPs between 50 and 150 depending on the router default. Make sure to use the red route's IP as the Gateway so if the red group comes back online the green group finds the internet.

m
l
Anonymous
August 14, 2010 8:00:59 PM

Hi emerald. Thaks for your message.

Emerald said:
Have you tried assigning static IP# to the green group that match the IP scheme of the red group?

This way even if the red group goes of line the green group can still communicate with each other. Use IPs in the 40's because routers usually hand out IPs between 50 and 150 depending on the router default. Make sure to use the red route's IP as the Gateway so if the red group comes back online the green group finds the internet.

I'd try to ... but one of the PCs of the green group (well, it's an Eye-fi card actually) can only connect via DHCP.
That's one of the conditions I can't avoid.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2010 8:57:29 PM

Do #1 and #2 have to able to talk to #3 and #4?

If not you could daisy-chain (using the WAN port on the green one) the two routers. Just make sure you change the IP scheme on the green one to lets say 192.168.254.1 and activate DHCP before you connect it to the red one.
m
l
August 14, 2010 10:31:17 PM

Connect WAN port of Router B to internet. Then connect WAN port of router A to a switchport on router B. Change IP address space on router A so that it doesnt conflict with Router B. If router B goes down, there will still be local network access in the green block (1 & 2 will be able to communicate, but no internet).
m
l
Anonymous
August 14, 2010 10:49:32 PM

Hi EMERALD and thehelo.

Emerald said:
Do #1 and #2 have to able to talk to #3 and #4?

If not you could daisy-chain (using the WAN port on the green one) the two routers. Just make sure you change the IP scheme on the green one to lets say 192.168.254.1 and activate DHCP before you connect it to the red one.

No, they don't need to. It would be nice, but it's not a must.

The problem is ... building this with the parts I already have, I can't do it. I only have modem/routers, so they don't have WAN ports ... I mean, physically, the don't have it. They have a DSL (telephone cable) connector and 4 ethernet LAN ports.

I know I can get some proper (cheap) router and I might just do that, but for now I would like to do what I can with the pieces I already have. Any idea how to make this "work" ?
m
l
August 16, 2010 12:02:42 AM

You really should get a proper router in this case. I highly doubt you would be able to do what you want without a higher end router with more advanced configuration options.
m
l
!