Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Phenom II X4 965 not compatible but working?

Last response: in CPUs
August 6, 2011 2:30:13 PM

Hello guys! I am posting here just out of plain curiosity for this little thing I've been dealing with eversince I bought my new processor.

A few months ago I purchased an AMD Phenom II X4 965 (AM3 Socket) to use with my M2N68-AM SE2 ASUS motherboard.
After some struggling I managed to place the annoyingly oversized processor in place. When I booted up the computer, first thing I see after the ASUS logo is a message saying that the CPU is not compatible. However, I am given an option to continue by pressing F1. Naturally, I did, and everything worked fine.

My computer recognizes my processor and my computer runs perfectly well.

However, I'm rather worried this could have long-term consequences. Every time I boot up my computer the same message appears, although sometimes I get a second option- to press F2, load default values and continue.

As I said before, my computer works perfectly and I've never had any problem, but I wanted to know if this is something I need to fix.

Thank you!
August 6, 2011 3:09:44 PM

Thank you for your reply. The update wizard won't work with my version of Windows 7 (64bit). Is there any software that will show me whether I need to update my bios? If I recall correctly I might've looked into this when the problem first showed up, but I can't remember if I actually updated the BIOS.
Score
August 6, 2011 3:35:00 PM

Yup, CPU-Z states that my BIOS version is 1409. I suppose that's good?
Score
Related resources
August 6, 2011 3:42:11 PM

I shall. Now I can stop worrying :D 

Thank you very much for your help!
Score
August 6, 2011 3:42:23 PM

Best answer selected by McWafflez.
Score
a b à CPUs
August 6, 2011 5:48:18 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey