Power supply for pentium 4 system

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
Hello, everyone!
I'm rebuilding an old Pentium 4 rig, and need an new power supply. the 20 pin power supplies i find have like 45 amps on the 5.5 v rail and only 15 amp on the 12 volt rail. 24 pin supplies have far more on the 12 v rail. so my question is do Pentium 4 motherboards pull more power from the 5.5 v rail or the 12 v rail? i know that modern systems pull from the 12 v rail, but Pentium 4 is pretty old. if it is any help, the computer is a dimension 4600.
And PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON HOW CRAPPY PENTIUM 4 IS UNLESS YOU ARE WILLING TO GIVE ME A NEWER SYSTEM! thanks.

Solution
Pentium 4 CPUs drew power from the 12V rail i believe, easiest way to check, look at the board and see if it has a 4 or an 8 pin CPU power connector, if it does then the CPU pulls power from the 12V rail and a modern unit with higher 12V capacity will work just fine.
Pentium 4 CPUs drew power from the 12V rail i believe, easiest way to check, look at the board and see if it has a 4 or an 8 pin CPU power connector, if it does then the CPU pulls power from the 12V rail and a modern unit with higher 12V capacity will work just fine.

Solution