Sign in with
Your question

Z77 good for sandy bridge?

Last response: in Motherboards
April 23, 2012 6:44:20 PM

Hi, i have an asrock z77 extreme4 and i cant decide if go to ivy bridge or sandy. I need to see more reviews, but is this mobo good for sandy bridge too?

More about : z77 good sandy bridge

a c 125 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 6:55:49 PM

nope. It is meant for IVY Bridge
April 23, 2012 7:13:13 PM

wait, i just got an asus maxmus v gene with the z77 chipset and i also got the 2700k sandy bridge cpu along with it for my new built. does this mean i'm screwed?
but it work fine so far for a week now. what should i do now? i though they would be compatible with sandy bridge and ivy bridge?
Related resources
April 23, 2012 7:51:15 PM

so, i need to go with ivy bridge? oO
April 23, 2012 8:00:28 PM

Its compatible with boath SB and IVY.Just that u wont get GEN3 full performance with a SB on that board.
I think it wont make a big diff.

Wait until more reviews come out for IVY i-5 ,.if performance is better or same go for IVY.
a c 137 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 8:22:57 PM

To the OP: Of course it will work with SB, you just won't get the extra abilities that using an IB chip will give you. You may as well just go ahead with IB, since it's a new build.

And to xxcysxx: No, you're not "screwed", it's just like I said above that the added benefits from using an IB chip won't be available.
April 23, 2012 8:23:40 PM

ok thanks joshul
April 23, 2012 9:38:58 PM

what kind of benefit is it on the ivy bridge. is it like just a slight performance benefit, or a significant performance and feature benefit?
do you think new egg will take the cpu back for a store credit refund, i can absorb a restocking fee if necessary. well, absorb restocking fee only if the ivy bridge will be here soon, but not if i have to wait till september for it of course. i got to play some video games this sumer to vent from all the schooling.
a c 137 V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 9:46:30 PM

xxcysxx said:
what kind of benefit is it on the ivy bridge. is it like just a slight performance benefit, or a significant performance and feature benefit?
do you think new egg will take the cpu back for a store credit refund, i can absorb a restocking fee if necessary. well, absorb restocking fee only if the ivy bridge will be here soon, but not if i have to wait till september for it of course. i got to play some video games this sumer to vent from all the schooling.

Well, Tom's just put out an article today benchmarking the performance between the 3770K and the 2700K (and others too) here http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ivy-bridge-benchmar..., so you can look for yourself. But it doesn't look like it's enough of an improvement to return the 2700K you already have, no. The main benefit over the 2700K is HD 4000 graphics (which doesn't matter for a gamer anyway, unless Virtu MVP really DOES boost performance by a large margin) and PCIe 3.0.

And IB was released today, BTW.
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 9:56:29 PM

Wouldn't return a 2700K, I don't think. But a new build may as well be IB. MVP looks really promising even with SB and we haven't seen it with IB yet.

If you really love having a large OC number in your sig block, may have to go with SB.
a b V Motherboard
April 23, 2012 10:18:01 PM

I heard from some places, the 2700K is about on par with the 3770K so performance wise your fine. Intel quad cores are Da best
April 23, 2012 11:57:20 PM

what about PCIe 3.0? is that something unique to the new ivy bridge? so what kind of PCIe version am i using now if i'm running sandy bridge cpu?

asus maximus V gene with 2700k.
a c 137 V Motherboard
April 24, 2012 12:00:13 AM

xxcysxx said:
what about PCIe 3.0? is that something unique to the new ivy bridge? so what kind of PCIe version am i using now if i'm running sandy bridge cpu?

asus maximus V gene with 2700k.

Yes, PCIe 3.0 is unique to IB (for Intel's line). You'll have PCIe 2.1 with a SB chip.
April 24, 2012 12:58:58 AM

oh ok, thanks for that.
so i take it PCIe 3.0 is probably still maturing and not that much noticeable difference to the 2.1 for now. i shouldn't have to worry about bottlenecking for now yes?

i might go with two 680 in sli or a single 690. haven't decided yet, haven't even got the video card yet.
a c 137 V Motherboard
April 24, 2012 1:12:44 AM

xxcysxx said:
oh ok, thanks for that.
so i take it PCIe 3.0 is probably still maturing and not that much noticeable difference to the 2.1 for now. i shouldn't have to worry about bottlenecking for now yes?

i might go with two 680 in sli or a single 690. haven't decided yet, haven't even got the video card yet.

Yeah, you should be good with that. 680's in SLI MIGHT benefit slightly from PCIe 3.0, but not enough that it would be a noticeable difference from PCIe 2.1. A generation or two more from now with GPU's is where I expect PCIe 3.0 to really start to matter.
!