Solved

Question of Juggling Graphic Cards

I have a couple of "not-very-state-of-the-art-anymore" computers. But they both are still very capable gaming machines...
Computer A is SLI ready, but has only a single 1GB 285GTX. (1920x1080 display, 850W PSU, x8 x8 in SLI)
Computer B (no SLI) has a 768MB 460GTX (1680x1050 display, 520W PSU)
Both are quad cores w/8GB RAM, running Win7x64
I was wondering if I could improve both machines by picking up a 2nd new or used 460GTX, putting both 460s in computer A, and the 285GTX in computer B. I would expect computer B to see improvement with the upgrade to a 1G 285GTX, of course. But, would computer A gain as much by replacing its 1G 285 with two 768M 460s?
I realize there are better ways to upgrade, but I have access to a 2nd 460GTX at an extremely fair price...
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question juggling graphic cards
  1. Best answer
    Yeah why not,Definitely.Gtx 460 has got more shader,memory and Bus Speed.It has Got Faster Memory Because of DDR5.
    Making A Gtx 460 Sli Setup would be Extremely Good.Frame Rate would Increase Upto 70% or Even More.I Got GTX 460 768MB'S SLi Benchmarks in the Link Given Below.It Will Clear that How much better Sli will Perform against a Single One.And I AM Sure that It Will Max Out Many Games at Good Resolutions Like 1920x1080 including Crysis.Hope the Link I Posted Below Helps.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/1
  2. mrjericho1991 said:
    Yeah why not,Definitely.Gtx 460 has got more shader,memory and Bus Speed.It has Got Faster Memory Because of DDR5.
    Making A Gtx 460 Sli Setup would be Extremely Good.Frame Rate would Increase Upto 70% or Even More.I Got GTX 460 768MB'S SLi Benchmarks in the Link Given Below.It Will Clear that How much better Sli will Perform against a Single One.And I AM Sure that It Will Max Out Many Games at Good Resolutions Like 1920x1080 including Crysis.Hope the Link I Posted Below Helps.
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-sli-review/1

Hey, cool. Thanks for the link. Soon as I get my work done here, I will give that a thorough read.
    Btw, I have a couple old SLI bridges from when I had 2 8800GTS in SLI. Are they still usable for the newer cards? Or do I need to come up with another?
  3. All SLI bridges are the same internally some are just longer.
  4. Best answer selected by clutchc.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Computer SLI Graphics Displays