Uber cooling idea?

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Ok, so we have water cooling for cpu and I use the H70 push/pull works great. What we need now is too cool the intake air from front of case cooling harddrives, vga, mb, the whole system. Why no intercooling type setup here? Similar to coolinng the intake charge for turbo cars etc.

My case has 2 front fans so the air comes in runs through water cooled vents to lower the intake air? Thus helping the whole system. My gpu runs way hotter than rest of system. I think this would be a useful function.

Thoughts?

Solution
Where my system sits...in an uninsulated garage, in the summer, I have a window unit (refrigerated air) that I have ducted for it to blow cold air into the front fan of my HAF 932. In the 100+ degree heat of the summer here in the Texas Panhandle it can get 120~130 inside the garage. System stays about 40 C idle and 60 C under full load (graphics cards), CPU runs 25 C idle 55 C full load. Works great for over 4 yrs now. System is in Sig. under more info. Oh, and I had a GTX 295 for the graphics them....I now have a GTX 580!! We will see how it does this summer....shoud be cooler with one less core to cool. :D

dhongkool1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
sorry i'm not sure what you're saying?
if i'm understanding you, what you're thinking about is a full-loop watercooling
the H70 is not REAL watercooling
do some research on watercooling if you're interested
full-loops are highly customizable and you normally have A LOT of radiators cooling the water (not like the H70 with only a 1*120mm rad)

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
i will, but I'm talking about cooling in air that comes in your system from front or side. Like a car intercooler for turbo's. The radiator cools the air from ambiant down, thus the intercooled idea.

dhongkool1

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
it's impossible to get sub-ambient temps with water cooling
after you leave water alone for a while, it'll warm up to the ambient temperatures
if you're talking about water cooling air, that's just outrageous because water gets hotter slower than air
if you look at water cooling systems, you have metal blocks on various components of the computer (CPU, GPU, northbridge etc.) and the water keeps the metal in the blocks cool

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Then how come auto's use intercoolers to lower the temp of incoming air by having the air go thru an intercooler first. They do lower temp over ambient using water. Just exploring ideas to help with cooling.

An intercooler does not cool down the air coming in below the air temp, that would require fancy hardware or violating thermodynamics, it cools it after a Supercharger or turbocharger because they compress the air which raises its temperature, it then takes that very hot air and cools it back down close to the ambient temperature.

The bottom paragraph pretty well sums up how an intercooler works
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/supercharger1.htm

Without a phase change cooler(which can cause condensation issues) you cannot get the temperatures of your system below the ambient air temperature, a full loop water cooling setup can get you close but it cannot get you below ambient.

A mini AC would be a phase change cooler but they are usually restricted to CPU or GPU for simplicity, they actually touch the CPU with a near freezing heatsink, its more efficient for gathering the heat from it than cooling the air going through the heatsinks in the system.
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6233/ex-vap-15/Cooler_Express_2011_Super_Single_Evaporator_CPU_Cooling_Unit_-_All_Sockets_478_7_54_775_1156_1366_939_940_AM2_Xeon_March_ETA_for_2011_version_.html?tl=g1c195&id=ohxRtqUz

But realize that in order to cool your CPU down that far requires the cooling unit to output the extra heat plus its inefficiency to the air in the room which will raise the overall ambient temp while lowering the temp of the CPU. If you want the air in the case to be cooler just open up a window or turn on the AC.

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
Hmm, I wouldn't mind the energy usage, as most gamers will spend extra to build/run machine. But condensation issue would have to be solved. Sealed system perhaps? A/C's tend to pull moisture out of the air and expel outside of closed enviroment.

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011

Wow, that kinda what i was thinking of. Thank you. But 900.00 ouch.

There are cheaper ones, thats just the first example i found, but even the cheaper ones are over $100. Also realize that for every watt of heat you want to get out of your system with a system like that it will take about 1.4W from the wall, if you want to use AC to keep your system cool you will pull almost 1.8W for each watt due to its inefficiencies, so you can almost triple the amount of power needed for your system and its cooling by using exotic cooling mechanisms, and that will then dump all that heat into your house which makes you cool it again.

Phase change coolers are generally only used for extreme overclocking tournaments for short durations, they are not meant for daily use as you need to dry everything off every few hours.

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
My machine idles at 31C, cpu at 36c. but the ambient measure goes up to 60c when being pushed, cpu still staying cool though(2600k at 4.5ghz)

It's the gtx570(or any) gpu card that is making all that heat. I'm going with gtx 590 or amd 6990 when they come out. Perhaps a water cooled setup just for the gpu card. But that would mean a new full sized case. all this just so i can try to more FPS for counterstrike source(301fps) ;)

z06psi

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010

Incorrect.

You have two intercooler types for cars. Air and water. I use the water type for my positive displacement supercharger on my Corvette. It is possible to get lower than ambient intake temps with dry ice or even regular ice if you have an efficient setup.

Air intercoolers however use ambient air forced over them at the vehicles speed to "cool" them down.

Neither are practical for computer use though.

templarklimek

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011

When under heavy load the gpu area temp get to 54-60C. Is that too high? idles at 31C. CPU stays around 27C

Jack64

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Where my system sits...in an uninsulated garage, in the summer, I have a window unit (refrigerated air) that I have ducted for it to blow cold air into the front fan of my HAF 932. In the 100+ degree heat of the summer here in the Texas Panhandle it can get 120~130 inside the garage. System stays about 40 C idle and 60 C under full load (graphics cards), CPU runs 25 C idle 55 C full load. Works great for over 4 yrs now. System is in Sig. under more info. Oh, and I had a GTX 295 for the graphics them....I now have a GTX 580!! We will see how it does this summer....shoud be cooler with one less core to cool. :D

Solution