Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Adapt CPU fan 3pin with controller to 4 pin Mobo?

Last response: in CPUs
August 6, 2011 11:12:07 PM

Hi! I didn't like the stock fan/heat-sink parts that came with my CPU so I bought an AM CPU fan and heatsink. It's for an i7-2600k cpu, being mounted on an AsusP8Z68 mobo. The fan has a separate controller that I would like to connect to the mobo via the "4pin" connector. Does anyone know how this should be wired?

The fan has a 3pin connector that can go to the 4 pin, using only the three pins, and a 2pin connector going to it's own separate dial controller of slow, medium, and fast.

Can I just connect one of the wires to the vacant pwm on the 4pin mobo? I'd prefer to not control the fan manually. Often when I'm in the middle of a game I forget, or if I leave to get bites or nature calls I don't want to come back to a fried whatever.

Best solution

a c 96 à CPUs
August 9, 2011 1:07:29 AM

jawnTEM said:
Hi! I didn't like the stock fan/heat-sink parts that came with my CPU so I bought an AM CPU fan and heatsink. It's for an i7-2600k cpu, being mounted on an AsusP8Z68 mobo. The fan has a separate controller that I would like to connect to the mobo via the "4pin" connector. Does anyone know how this should be wired?

The fan has a 3pin connector that can go to the 4 pin, using only the three pins, and a 2pin connector going to it's own separate dial controller of slow, medium, and fast.

Can I just connect one of the wires to the vacant pwm on the 4pin mobo? I'd prefer to not control the fan manually. Often when I'm in the middle of a game I forget, or if I leave to get bites or nature calls I don't want to come back to a fried whatever.

You cannot connect the fan controller control leads to the PWM pin on the fan header. If you do not want to control the fan manually, enable fan speed control in your BIOS and plug the 3-pin fan directly into the 4-pin fan header. It will fit and work properly, although you might have to check "3-pin mode" or adjust a jumper to tell the motherboard you are using a 3-pin non-PWM fan instead of a 4-pin PWM fan unless you want the 3-pin fan to run at full speed all of the time. Or, you could just get a 4-pin PWM fan you like, plug it straight into the fan header, and forget the whole controller nonsense.
August 19, 2011 5:05:07 PM

Thanks MU_Engineer!

It is that I like the Fan-heatsink combo that I got specially for my machine. Neon-active flashing lights, moderate sink cooling, the works, etc. It seems that I should be able to to connect one of the controller wires to the extra peg on the 4 pin mobo and have it work!? One of the wires is black and the other is red, so I assume that one would be the "hot-signal" wire, (red) with the black being the grnd. I would assume that I could attach the red wire to the fourth pin on the mobo and maybe attach the black (gnd) to the black gnd on the 4 pin Mobo. Then I shouldn't have to wory about any switching or manual configuring or control.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 7:54:20 PM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
a b à CPUs
February 2, 2012 7:54:22 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
!