Classic NES series a dud if you ask me

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

I'm am from the NES era so I do love some of those old games, but I
think the way Nintendo went about doing this series was fairly poor.
The only thing I think it really cool about this NES celebration is
the special GBA-SP designed to look like an old NES controller.
Here's what I just don't like about the series:

- The Gameboy is a portable device so making it convienent to use is
essential. Putting all of these games on separate cartridges is just
a waste of space, especially considering all of them could easily have
been put onto 1.

- Donkey Kong: Perfect example of wasted potential. Why didn't they
throw in the mythical "pie factory" level? I understand the reason
why. The point of these games was to give people their old NES
experience, and since the NES didn't have that level then the Gameboy
version should not either. That's a pretty poor excuse for making a
$20 less than what it could be. Another problem with this game is
that it should have included all of the old Kong games on one pack,
this would include Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and Donkey Kong Jr.
Math (I actually found that one fun in multiplayer mode).

- Pac-Man: Bad choice. Pac-Man is not a game associated with the
NES, it wasn't even released until the SNES was celebrating its 2nd
birthday! Pac-Man is something bigger than Nintendo. Another reason
it shouldn't have been included is that it has already been released
on the GBA! I don't know the name, but I have a Namco title that
already contains several of the old Pac-Man games. The original Pac
Man can even be played on a single screen or on a scrolling screen
that maintains the original graphics. I don't think that's even an
option in the new version!

- Super Mario Bros: A definate classic but wasn't this already
rereleased on the Gameboy Color? Didn't that reissue even include
extras that were not found in the GBA version, like the Japanese Super
Mario 2?

- Legend of Zelda: Another definate Nintendo classic, but would it
have killed them to include The Adventure of Link on there as well?

- Ice Climber: Did anyone ever like this one?

- Excitebike, Bomberman, & Xevious: I seem to remember these being
popular titles, but it sure is ashame that you'd have to carry around
an entire gameboy cartridge just for each of those tiny titles.

I really like that Nintendo is recognizing its past, but I just don't
think they went about it in the best possible way. I'd love to see a
GCN disc full of their old titles so that I can easily play all their
old games. Had Nintendo gone that extra step I would have snapped up
these games.

Steve wrote:

> - Legend of Zelda: Another definate Nintendo classic, but would it
> have killed them to include The Adventure of Link on there as well?

I think their reasoning is because it was just released on the GBA. Probably
why it wasn't put on the GC collector's disc either. My reason for not
buying LoZ, though, is because I already have the GC disc that they gave
away last year. Why play it on GB when I can play it on TV, the way it was
originally played.

--

We should consider every day lost in which we have not danced at least
once. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

A lot of these games are available on Animal crossing and you can download
them to your gba. These titles are such a waste of cash. Just another
example of Nintendo screwing us over yet again. That said I did pick up the
zelda classic for a collectors piece.
"Steve" <sshelton@millenianet.com> wrote in message
> I'm am from the NES era so I do love some of those old games, but I
> think the way Nintendo went about doing this series was fairly poor.
> The only thing I think it really cool about this NES celebration is
> the special GBA-SP designed to look like an old NES controller.
> Here's what I just don't like about the series:
>
> - The Gameboy is a portable device so making it convienent to use is
> essential. Putting all of these games on separate cartridges is just
> a waste of space, especially considering all of them could easily have
> been put onto 1.
>
> - Donkey Kong: Perfect example of wasted potential. Why didn't they
> throw in the mythical "pie factory" level? I understand the reason
> why. The point of these games was to give people their old NES
> experience, and since the NES didn't have that level then the Gameboy
> version should not either. That's a pretty poor excuse for making a
> $20 less than what it could be. Another problem with this game is
> that it should have included all of the old Kong games on one pack,
> this would include Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and Donkey Kong Jr.
> Math (I actually found that one fun in multiplayer mode).
>
> - Pac-Man: Bad choice. Pac-Man is not a game associated with the
> NES, it wasn't even released until the SNES was celebrating its 2nd
> birthday! Pac-Man is something bigger than Nintendo. Another reason
> it shouldn't have been included is that it has already been released
> on the GBA! I don't know the name, but I have a Namco title that
> already contains several of the old Pac-Man games. The original Pac
> Man can even be played on a single screen or on a scrolling screen
> that maintains the original graphics. I don't think that's even an
> option in the new version!
>
> - Super Mario Bros: A definate classic but wasn't this already
> rereleased on the Gameboy Color? Didn't that reissue even include
> extras that were not found in the GBA version, like the Japanese Super
> Mario 2?
>
> - Legend of Zelda: Another definate Nintendo classic, but would it
> have killed them to include The Adventure of Link on there as well?
>
> - Ice Climber: Did anyone ever like this one?
>
> - Excitebike, Bomberman, & Xevious: I seem to remember these being
> popular titles, but it sure is ashame that you'd have to carry around
> an entire gameboy cartridge just for each of those tiny titles.
>

> I really like that Nintendo is recognizing its past, but I just don't
> think they went about it in the best possible way. I'd love to see a
> GCN disc full of their old titles so that I can easily play all their
> old games. Had Nintendo gone that extra step I would have snapped up
> these games.

ANON

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003

Heck they managed to stick 4 full classic SEGA games on one cart.
They should of put 4 or 5 on a cart and made a series like that and not
just those "classics" Wheres contra, ninja gaiden, punchout, etc...???

I would def get that rather than each individual game EVEN if they were $10
each...and def not $17/18

anyone know of the save features on these classic carts anyway??

"Steve" <sshelton@millenianet.com> wrote in message
> I'm am from the NES era so I do love some of those old games, but I
> think the way Nintendo went about doing this series was fairly poor.
> The only thing I think it really cool about this NES celebration is
> the special GBA-SP designed to look like an old NES controller.
> Here's what I just don't like about the series:
>
> - The Gameboy is a portable device so making it convienent to use is
> essential. Putting all of these games on separate cartridges is just
> a waste of space, especially considering all of them could easily have
> been put onto 1.
>
> - Donkey Kong: Perfect example of wasted potential. Why didn't they
> throw in the mythical "pie factory" level? I understand the reason
> why. The point of these games was to give people their old NES
> experience, and since the NES didn't have that level then the Gameboy
> version should not either. That's a pretty poor excuse for making a
> $20 less than what it could be. Another problem with this game is
> that it should have included all of the old Kong games on one pack,
> this would include Donkey Kong Jr., Donkey Kong 3, and Donkey Kong Jr.
> Math (I actually found that one fun in multiplayer mode).
>
> - Pac-Man: Bad choice. Pac-Man is not a game associated with the
> NES, it wasn't even released until the SNES was celebrating its 2nd
> birthday! Pac-Man is something bigger than Nintendo. Another reason
> it shouldn't have been included is that it has already been released
> on the GBA! I don't know the name, but I have a Namco title that
> already contains several of the old Pac-Man games. The original Pac
> Man can even be played on a single screen or on a scrolling screen
> that maintains the original graphics. I don't think that's even an
> option in the new version!
>
> - Super Mario Bros: A definate classic but wasn't this already
> rereleased on the Gameboy Color? Didn't that reissue even include
> extras that were not found in the GBA version, like the Japanese Super
> Mario 2?
>
> - Legend of Zelda: Another definate Nintendo classic, but would it
> have killed them to include The Adventure of Link on there as well?
>
> - Ice Climber: Did anyone ever like this one?
>
> - Excitebike, Bomberman, & Xevious: I seem to remember these being
> popular titles, but it sure is ashame that you'd have to carry around
> an entire gameboy cartridge just for each of those tiny titles.
>

> I really like that Nintendo is recognizing its past, but I just don't
> think they went about it in the best possible way. I'd love to see a
> GCN disc full of their old titles so that I can easily play all their
> old games. Had Nintendo gone that extra step I would have snapped up
> these games.

On Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:44:15 -0400, "John Salerno"
<johnjsalNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Steve wrote:
>
>> - Legend of Zelda: Another definate Nintendo classic, but would it
>> have killed them to include The Adventure of Link on there as well?
>
>I think their reasoning is because it was just released on the GBA. Probably
>why it wasn't put on the GC collector's disc either. My reason for not
>buying LoZ, though, is because I already have the GC disc that they gave
>away last year. Why play it on GB when I can play it on TV, the way it was
>originally played.

You've gotten your Zelda games confused. We're talking about the
original Zelda and Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. Zelda II was
indeed on the GCN collector's disc. You are thinking of the SNES game
A Link to the Past.