Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard for a phenom 2 x4 975 gaming build

Last response: in Motherboards
April 24, 2012 2:53:46 AM

Hi all, I am currently in the process of getting ready to build a (hopefully) very, VERY good gaming PC that will last me a few years. I already have the PSU: an 850w thermaltake TR2 RX black widow, the OS: retail version of Win 7 Home premium, and of course the CPU, A Phenom 2 x4 975. my question is: what would be a good motherboard that would be good priced and yet have the features I need to run this and the rest of my components? here is the list of components I am most likely going to buy:

GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 OC (or the normal version, it don't matter)
SSD: Crucial 64 GB SATA 6 Gb/s m4 SSD (yeah, I know, it's a bit on the small (capacity-wise) side, but I don't need a big one for a boot drive!
HDD: WD Caviar blue 500 GB SATA 6 Gb/s HDD, this will be the hard drive that most of my games will reside on (have an account with steam, so installing games on it should be a cinch).
CPU cooler: hyper 212 EVO, figured that I'd get this to keep the CPU from getting too hot, and to allow for some moderate OC'ing later!!
RAM: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2x4GB) 1333MHz memory kit
Optical: Lite-on IHAS424-98 retail (black)

And this is all going in a....
NZXT phantom 410 USB 3.0 gaming case in flame red!

I do NOT care about CrossfireX, it is too much of a pain to set up, and that micro-stuttering thing is kinda worrisome anyway.

The motherboards I am currently looking at are the ASUS M5A97 Evo, and the Gigabyte GA-970A-ud3, but there are other, better options out there let me know. It has to have SATA 6 for the SSD of course, and the case has USB 3.0 ports in front as well!

look forward to the feedback and thanks!
April 24, 2012 2:59:06 AM

sorry there was supposed to be a "if" after the but on the last part, my bad, fast fingers!!
m
l
April 24, 2012 9:09:32 PM

I know you probably have answered this but I am looking for a motherboard with AM3+ support as well that runs well! My budget if it helps is about 100 to 115 dollars, nothing fancy just stable and solid! Thanks!!
m
l
Related resources
April 25, 2012 2:56:59 AM

Okay, I guess all of you guys are intel fanboys and or think a Phenom 2 is kinda old news, alright. I can understand that, but I cannot find a thread or forum on this site that can answer my question, so I decided to create one! I have pretty much decided to get the Gigabyte GA 990XA-UD3 instead, it doesn't support full 2@x16 bandwidth SLI/crossfireX, but as I said earlier, I am not interested in that. Hell with a 7870, you don't need that for 1080p gaming anyway, OVERKILL!! haha, it also has the USB 3.0 headers on the mobo, as well as the SATA 3 6Gb/s connectors I need for my SSD! anyway, if anyone has anything they want to say, whether to recommend this or any other mobo, feel free to! thanks
m
l
April 29, 2012 7:29:56 PM

okay, lets try this then: how bout a comparison, Say the ASUS M5A97 Evo, the ASUS M5A99X evo, or a Gigabyte GA990XA-UD3. that's the non-SLI, crossfireX area, and for the multi-gpu area, The Gigabyte GA99FXA-UD3, the ASUS ROG series, I forget what one is AM3+?
m
l
May 4, 2012 1:38:01 AM

Okay, I also have a question regarding the phenom 2 cpu's, how much ram can u use in it if its 1333MHz? please at LEAST answer that, I cannot find ANY info on this! thanl you!!
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:41:27 PM

I apologize if that sounded like I being rude, I didn't mean for it to be, but I don't want to make the wrong decision and end up screwed in the end, (who the hell does, right?) I'm also very new to building gaming rigs so any help is appreciated! Thank you
m
l
!