Spray Painting a GPU?

MjoLniRXx

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
So, I am looking into getting an ASUS GTX 560Ti and it has 3 Red Racing Stripes down the center of the card and I was curious if you could remove the shroud and tape it up and then paint over the 3 stripes with a high heat paint? Possibly this one: http://www.krylon.com/products/high_heat_radiator_paints/

I have done several google searches and nothing yet has yielded results... the shroud is metal so just curious if it will work.

GPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121424

*note*

I only ask because I am going with a Blue/Black scheme and this sort of clashes... though WORST case scenario the red stripes are facing down so.... lol opinions?

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

That paint should be fine as long as the shroud is def metal. When you go to paint it make sure that the humidity isn't bad, or that its not too cold out where you are painting it, otherwise the paint wont apply right. Also, though they don't usually state this, give it about 24 hours to cure before touching it much or reapplying it back to the heat sink. This way you will have less of a risk of it chipping, etc when you go to handle it, or of fume build up from it being stuck in a tight warm enclosure too soon.

MjoLniRXx

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Ahh, I read several threads from various sites circa 2005-ish that were discussing painting components but they were talking about painting the PCB (sounds EXTREMELY dumb to me) and nothing that was graphics card specific... But yes the shroud is metal and since the stripes are super thin, it's more of a superficial paint job I figured it would be okay... just needed to check before I potentially destroy a 250 dollar piece of equipment lol thanks for the reply :) if anyone else has any input, it is very much welcome

professorprofessorson

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011

Not a good idea. Basic store bought acrylics and oil based paints wont hold up to the warmer temps for extended periods very well, even if you seal them with something like Future.

MjoLniRXx

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
Lol I plan on removing the shroud, taping up everything except the red stripes and putting just enough paint to make them black.. i don't want to mess up the thermals or anything...

TehCommy

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Dont, if you paint over your GPU the paint may get stuck and damage the fan, wich will either lead to GPU overheating, and why do you care what color your GPU is, it should be inside the comp anyway. Glad to he;p :p

You won't mess up the thermals because the purpose of the shroud is not in its ability to conduct heat but it is only there to direct air flow. If heat conduction was critical to the shroud's function it wouldn't have any paint on it at all.