Character speach during game play.

lestat

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004

Hi there
I am just getting into BG 2 and I was wondering about the audio
clips that I keep hearing.
When I go RAIDING or THIEVING I sometimes hear Minsc saying things
like "It's not right" something about Boo watching too. Do these
comments mean that my character or other NPC is about to do something
wrong and that I should stop? Are all of these audio bits important? If
I play by paying attention to the hints given, will I be better off?
Can I do without the treasure that I just passed on because Minsc says
to? Is it all right to look to see what treasure I may pass on?
Some are hints I think. Like Jenaria saying the area can be cleansed
or something like that. I think she is suggesting a place to rest. Am I
getting this right? I would like to stay on everyones good side by
paying some sort of attention to them. I am playing a chaotic good
character.

Lestat wrote:
> Hi there
> I am just getting into BG 2 and I was wondering about the audio
> clips that I keep hearing.
> When I go RAIDING or THIEVING I sometimes hear Minsc saying things
> like "It's not right" something about Boo watching too. Do these
> comments mean that my character or other NPC is about to do something
> wrong and that I should stop? Are all of these audio bits important? If
> I play by paying attention to the hints given, will I be better off?
> Can I do without the treasure that I just passed on because Minsc says
> to? Is it all right to look to see what treasure I may pass on?
> Some are hints I think. Like Jenaria saying the area can be cleansed
> or something like that. I think she is suggesting a place to rest. Am I
> getting this right? I would like to stay on everyones good side by
> paying some sort of attention to them. I am playing a chaotic good
> character.
>
> --

It sounds like you are loosing reputation points. You lose or gain
reputation by various in-game acts. Getting caught stealing, killing
innocents, etc will drop your rep. Giving money to temples, completing
quests and asking for no reward, etc will raise your rep.

NPCs will comment on reputation changes. Depending on alignment and
temperment and how low your rep gets, your NPCs will either a) dump your
sorry ass, b) complain alot but continue the slaughter of the innocent,
or c) cheer you on.

The other voice stuff is simply random chatter, usually triggered by the
environment (day/night, dungeon/city/wilderness). Sometimes if
charactes are getting their butts kicked, they will ask for healing.

Mark.

lestat

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2004

In article <ce3c1n$v11$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Mark Haslam
<haslam@u.washington.edu> wrote:

> Lestat wrote:
> > Hi there
> > I am just getting into BG 2 and I was wondering about the audio
> > clips that I keep hearing.
> > When I go RAIDING or THIEVING I sometimes hear Minsc saying things
> > like "It's not right" something about Boo watching too. Do these
> > comments mean that my character or other NPC is about to do something
> > wrong and that I should stop? Are all of these audio bits important? If
> > I play by paying attention to the hints given, will I be better off?
> > Can I do without the treasure that I just passed on because Minsc says
> > to? Is it all right to look to see what treasure I may pass on?
> > Some are hints I think. Like Jenaria saying the area can be cleansed
> > or something like that. I think she is suggesting a place to rest. Am I
> > getting this right? I would like to stay on everyones good side by
> > paying some sort of attention to them. I am playing a chaotic good
> > character.
> >
> > --
>
> It sounds like you are loosing reputation points. You lose or gain
> reputation by various in-game acts. Getting caught stealing, killing
> innocents, etc will drop your rep. Giving money to temples, completing
> quests and asking for no reward, etc will raise your rep.
>
> NPCs will comment on reputation changes. Depending on alignment and
> temperment and how low your rep gets, your NPCs will either a) dump your
> sorry ass, b) complain alot but continue the slaughter of the innocent,
> or c) cheer you on.
>
> The other voice stuff is simply random chatter, usually triggered by the
> environment (day/night, dungeon/city/wilderness). Sometimes if
> charactes are getting their butts kicked, they will ask for healing.
>
> Mark.

Thanks for the info. Yes, indeed my reputation points were down to 3. I
do not know at what level they start. Minsc was complaining first then
Jenaria started in with the comments about changing my ways a little
later. I thought this increased chatter was just some idle talk. I
guess I will pay more attention to what is being bantered about.

Lestat. I promise not to bite. :-=

Jenaria???????

is it 'Jaheira'???

Lestat wrote:

> In article <ce3c1n$v11$1@gnus01.u.washington.edu>, Mark Haslam
> <haslam@u.washington.edu> wrote:
>

>>Lestat wrote:
>>
>>>Hi there
>>> I am just getting into BG 2 and I was wondering about the audio
>>>clips that I keep hearing.
>>> When I go RAIDING or THIEVING I sometimes hear Minsc saying things
>>>like "It's not right" something about Boo watching too. Do these
>>>comments mean that my character or other NPC is about to do something
>>>wrong and that I should stop? Are all of these audio bits important? If
>>>I play by paying attention to the hints given, will I be better off?
>>>Can I do without the treasure that I just passed on because Minsc says
>>>to? Is it all right to look to see what treasure I may pass on?
>>> Some are hints I think. Like Jenaria saying the area can be cleansed
>>>or something like that. I think she is suggesting a place to rest. Am I
>>>getting this right? I would like to stay on everyones good side by
>>>paying some sort of attention to them. I am playing a chaotic good
>>>character.
>>>
>>>--
>>
>>It sounds like you are loosing reputation points. You lose or gain
>>reputation by various in-game acts. Getting caught stealing, killing
>>innocents, etc will drop your rep. Giving money to temples, completing
>>quests and asking for no reward, etc will raise your rep.
>>
>>NPCs will comment on reputation changes. Depending on alignment and
>>temperment and how low your rep gets, your NPCs will either a) dump your
>>sorry ass, b) complain alot but continue the slaughter of the innocent,
>>or c) cheer you on.
>>
>>The other voice stuff is simply random chatter, usually triggered by the
>>environment (day/night, dungeon/city/wilderness). Sometimes if
>>charactes are getting their butts kicked, they will ask for healing.
>>
>>Mark.
>

> Thanks for the info. Yes, indeed my reputation points were down to 3. I
> do not know at what level they start. Minsc was complaining first then
> Jenaria started in with the comments about changing my ways a little
> later. I thought this increased chatter was just some idle talk. I
> guess I will pay more attention to what is being bantered about.
>
> Lestat. I promise not to bite. :-=

Your rep points normally start around 10. If you drop any lower than you
already are, guards will start spawning constantly to attack you. You
can either pay to raise your rep by donating to a temple (check the
manual for how much, it depends on what your current rep is) or by
completing quests.