dead thinkpad r32

Status
Not open for further replies.

hi there, hope someone can help.

i've a problem with a thinkpad r32. it was given to me dead and i'm
hoping to fix it myself if it's possible.

the problem:
when i power it on, the power lights come on, it beeps, the
fan starts spinning, it seems to check the dvd drive and the hd light
flicks on briefly but then thats it. nothing at all comes up on the
screen.

what i've tried:
i've taken out the hd and linked it to my pc and it seems to
be ok. i've tried linking it to the monitor of my pc but that is then
also totally blank. i've swapped the ram sticks around and tried each
in each slot indivdually but still nothing. if i power it on with no
ram sticks in it beeps at me about 7 times so there does seem to be
some life in there somewhere to be able to reconise this.

if anyone has any ideas i would be glad to hear them. i've read that
other people have had simular problems but there seemed to be no
replies to them.

please help.........

On 15 May 2005 09:55:12 -0700, ali.semmens@orange.net wrote:
> hi there, hope someone can help.
>
> i've a problem with a thinkpad r32. it was given to me dead and i'm
> hoping to fix it myself if it's possible.
>
> the problem:
> when i power it on, the power lights come on, it beeps, the
> fan starts spinning, it seems to check the dvd drive and the hd light
> flicks on briefly but then thats it. nothing at all comes up on the
> screen.
>
> what i've tried:
> i've taken out the hd and linked it to my pc and it seems to
> be ok. i've tried linking it to the monitor of my pc but that is then
> also totally blank. i've swapped the ram sticks around and tried each
> in each slot indivdually but still nothing. if i power it on with no
> ram sticks in it beeps at me about 7 times so there does seem to be
> some life in there somewhere to be able to reconise this.
>
> if anyone has any ideas i would be glad to hear them. i've read that
> other people have had simular problems but there seemed to be no
> replies to them.
>
> please help.........

From my experience of buying a sick thinkpad off ebay;

IBM have a site with schematics, etc (Google schematics Thinkpad).
Basically, the engineers handbooks. It gives the numbers for specific
faults, which is no good for you, (as your computer dies before that),
but they may help.

--
greymaus
97.025% of statistics are wrong