Sign in with
Your question

AMD 965 BE catastrophic overheating

Last response: in CPUs
August 7, 2011 2:23:18 AM

Hello all,

I recently went and purchased a Cooler Master Hyper 212 to try overclocking my AMD Phenom X4 965 BE. I received it yesterday, and installed it using Arctic Silver Ceramique. It functioned normally, dropping my full load temperatures from about 63C with the stock cooler to 50C with the new cooler. However, I was unable to get my case shut, due to the new cooler being unexpectedly large. The copper spikes visible in the product photo stuck out too far.

This is where things went south, so I'm going to be specific as possible about the steps I took. Sorry if it's a bit lengthy.

After examining the situation, I concluded the only way to get the case lid back on was to cut holes in the case, or to remove the copper spikes. I checked into the function of the spikes, and they appeared to simply be left from manufacturing, and not critical for the heatsink to function. I then removed the heatsink and CPU from my motherboard, since the thermal paste caused the CPU to pull out with the cooler. After removing the excess material from the heatsink using a Dremel, I went to re-install the CPU. I noted one of the pins had been slightly bent, so I moved it back to its original position before re-installing. I then reinstalled the heatsink (I did not reapply thermal paste at this time).

I turned on the machine and let it boot into Windows. When Speedfan started up, it reported a CPU temp of 109C, at which I panicked and killed the power. I thought it might have been a false reading, so I let it sit for a minute, and rebooted into BIOS to check temperature there. It climbed from 40C to 80C within a minute, at which point I killed it.

Since then, I have reapplied thermal paste twice, checking for both proper coverage and not too much paste. I have triple-checked for bent pins. I have checked for thermal compound on the pins (I found a little and removed it, but Ceramique is supposedly not conductive and should not have caused a short). I have confirmed that heat is reaching the heatsink, as it is hot to the touch. BIOS reports all voltages at the same levels as before.

CPU temps still climb rapidly to absurd levels. I haven't let it climb past 80C.

I'm at a complete loss to explain what's wrong. Thermal paste, the CPU, and the heatsink appear to be installed normally, and have no defects. And it's physically impossible for the excess copper I removed to cause a 50-60C change in temperature.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what else I can try?

KG
August 7, 2011 2:56:55 AM

sorry bro......you completely and utterly destroyed your heatsink.........

those copper pipes need to be sealed in order for them to transmit heat properly.......go back to your stock heatsink and buy a shorter one that fits without modding.........
m
l
August 7, 2011 3:48:23 AM

I switched back to the stock cooler, and it's working normally again, so it appears you're right. I'm thrilled that turned out to be a $30 mistake instead of a $135 mistake...thanks very much for the tip!

However, there are two engineers and a physics major over here very confused as to why this mod caused the heatsink to fail...can anyone give a technical explanation of why removing the ends kills the heatsink?

KG
m
l
Related resources
August 7, 2011 3:56:12 AM

those pipes are a closed loop system.......heated vapor will actually travel up the tubes....and then thermodynamics being what they are will cause the cooled liquid to travel back downward......

aww crap.....did some research and went to correct myself but someone beat me to it :cry: 
m
l
August 7, 2011 4:11:27 AM

lol no way, this has to be a joke / fake post.... Cut off the copper spikes lol riiiight... Really?

Even if you did cut off the ends of the heatpipes, starting up the machine would not result in a spike to 109C in which the processor most likely would have never survived unless the heatsink was not sitting properly in the chip. Or maybe the case was pressing against the heatsink still and tweaked the cooler... Just cannot buy this whole story :pt1cable:  That and the engineers not understanding this or how a simple heatpipe works / not researching how they work before giving an answer means... well they need to go back to school lol
m
l
a c 215 à CPUs
a b À AMD
August 7, 2011 4:15:28 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heatpipe

When you chopped the ends off, the liquid which normally vaporizes at the bottom and condenses at the top, vaporized at the bottom and left through the hole at the top so you went to having small copper tubes attempting to conduct heat up their length, rather than having heatpipes which actively move heat up to their tips.

Im kind of disappointed that your engineers didnt think to do a quick wikipedia search first, thats just disappointing...
m
l
August 7, 2011 4:52:31 AM

Gotcha, I wasn't aware there was a cooling liquid in the pipes...I'd assumed they were solid conductors for heat, and was surprised to see they were hollow.

Yeah, I should have checked more thoroughly. I'm a computer engineer and didn't take thermodynamics, so I wasn't familiar with that type of cooling system. I'll chalk that one up to impatience with new toys in the mail.

And garage1217, let me know when you design a pipelined processor from scratch and we'll talk about going back to school. :sol: 

Thanks all again for the help!

KG
m
l
August 7, 2011 7:32:38 AM

kg333 said:
Gotcha, I wasn't aware there was a cooling liquid in the pipes...I'd assumed they were solid conductors for heat, and was surprised to see they were hollow.

Yeah, I should have checked more thoroughly. I'm a computer engineer and didn't take thermodynamics, so I wasn't familiar with that type of cooling system. I'll chalk that one up to impatience with new toys in the mail.

And garage1217, let me know when you design a pipelined processor from scratch and we'll talk about going back to school. :sol: 

Thanks all again for the help!

KG

Hey, I am not the one cutting the ends off heatpipes lol And I work with a LOT of engineers, most cannot tie their own shoelaces so I understand :kaola: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
August 7, 2011 11:53:24 AM

Agh the joys of experience, the good news tho is that it was a relatively cheap mistake, what i would do now is go and buy another 212, then reach for the dremel again but this time cut a hole in the side of your case exactly the same size as your cooler, i have done this many times and if you do it well and respray the panel you can make it look pretty cool.
m
l
!