Processor for 3D Software and rendering

rreygun

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Im building a PC for the first time. I have poked around the forums but can't really make the decision based on them.
This PC is going to be for my next year at Visual Effects program. I'm going to be heavily working with softwares like Maya, zBursh as stated above. I would also need a computer that would decrease my rendering time dramatically.

My budget is $2000 CAD.
The 2 choices i have for processor are:

1) i7 - 2600k
2) i7 - 960

Or if you guys have other recommendations that would be future proof. (like 2-3 years down the road) and is around the 200-300 price range. I don't want to go crazy and get a 980X if its not really needed. I'm going to spend the money on more ram and bigger monitor.
Please and Thank You!!!!

badtaylorx

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
well....the x58 chipset will allow you to take advantage of triple channel memory......

im not sure if sandy bridge LucidLogix Virtu would be of service to you or not.....maybe someone else could chime in on that.......

i would seriously consider getting a professional workstation gfx card tho as they will run your aforementioned apps much better than a gaming card could

also would it hurt to hold out another month or so to see the results from amd's bulldozer architecture???

rreygun

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
Hmmm. So a worstation gfx card would be better? Even thoh I do play Starcraft 2 heavily and want to play some of the games coming out. But obviously I;m going to be working with 3d applications much more than gaming. Would I have trouble running them at the highest settings? I was thinking of getting the gtx 580. How much of an advantage would it actually give me if I do get a workstation card.

Oh and I;m not going to be building it for another month or two so I have time ^_^