System becomes unstable after a while

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
Hi, My brother has a computer when after a fresh install about a month later it begins to lock up get errors when booting hangs on post with Detecting IDE or something like that. We've tried Win7, Vista and XP and all do the same. Its got to be hardware. I ran Memtest86 (v3.5) and passed with no errors. He said he's tried different Hard Drives too. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
Thanks.

Specs:
Q6600
EVGA 680i SLI
Geforce 8800GT
OCZ DDR2 4GB 2x2 (OCZ2RPR10662G)
WD740ADFD (2)
WD 500GB HDD

First, retry the the MemTest86+ with v4.2 (the latest). Test the sticks individually. If no errors, get into the BIOS (press either F2 or Del when the on screen prompt appears), and then manually configure the DRAM settings to reflect what is shown on the stickers on the side of the RAM modules.

If that doesn't help, get a digital multimeter (DMM) and test the Power Supply Unit (PSU) voltages. Turn the DMM to VDC/V DC (voltage Direct Current). Touch the black probe against anything bare metal spot on the case, or stick it behind any of the black wires on the P1 connector (the 20/24-pin plug). The red probe needs to be touched against the non-black-colored wires. Compare your PSU voltage readings to the corresponding color values:

Red = +5V
Yellow = +12V
Blue = -12V
Green = +5V
Orange = +3.3V
Brown = +3.3V
Gray should go from 0V to +5V when you turn on the power.

Note: the voltage readings need to be read while the power is on and the acceptable tolerance is ~5-10%.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

Could bad RAM have this kind of effect on the computer?

RAM-related issues are largely the trouble with systems not booting; at least in my experience and through various posts on this forum. Hanging at "Detecting IDE..." is a big clue, though.

Retesting RAM with the current version of MT86+ was a suggestion because you were using an outdated version. If the problem is consistent through various installs of various OS, then chances are the HDD is going bad; possibly the cables. Try using a different IDE cable, too.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009

There actually all SATA cables and I unplugged both the other hard drives he had plugged in and so far its working. It could start doing what it was before in another month though because I've had it do that before. I'll just wait and see. Will try another memtest too.

stratego51

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2009
It did it again! He came in to use it and it was locked up! Sometimes it locks up right after startup and other times he can use it for a while before it locks up. What could make it do that!