First Build complete - no VGA output, please HELP!

pfogarty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
So as per the title I just completed my first build and on boot I get no vga signal...

Firstly, its odd because it powers on for a moment, stops, and then after a few seconds powers on again. Possibly normal but ive never seen it.

Also I get no indications, no beeps. The manual for the MB states beep sequences to diagnose the problem so I have idea whats happening.

Lights are on, GPU fans are spinning, screen is connected...

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

System

MB - ASUS P8P67 pro
CPU - i7 2600k
GPU's - 2x XFX 6970's xfire
Ram - 8gig ripjaws

One thing to point out, I forcibly removed one of the GPU's by mistake during the build. I didn't think it was enough to harm it but know im thinking this could be the root of the problem. If this were the case, would that mean the other GPU wouldn't be functional? Ive tested both and neither work.

Welcome, newcomer. Yes. Forcibly removing any device from the mobo could be the reason for a "no post" or "no display" issue. Still, it doesn't hurt to try the steps in our standard troubleshooting checklist. Click on the link in my signature and work through every applicable step. Also check out the breadboarding guide at the bottom of the checklist.

Alternatively, you can check to see if the GPU(s) is/are functional in another system.

JerryC

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
A couple of things to check.

Make sure the power cables are connected correctly to the motherboard, hard drives and the video cards. The motherboard has a primary connector and a CPU power connector. The hard drives are obvious where power is concerned. The 6970 has two power connectors if I remember correctly. One thing you didnt mention is which PSU you are using with this system. If you are trying to use an older PSU with this system it wont work.

could be the any of the following:

1. Bad CPU
2. Incorrectly installed CPU
3. PSU isn't supplying enough juice to the GPUs
4. Auxillary power to GPUs aren't plugged in
5. Electrical short (short circuit) between mobo and case
6. One or more faulty RAM
7. Incorrectly installed RAM
8. Defective GPU(s)
9. Incorrectly installed GPU(s)
10. P4 (CPU) power cable not plugged in/not plugged in good
11. faulty mobo
12. Something other than listed above not plugged in good.

As you can see, the list of possibilities is quite large, and the above list isn't all possibilities, either. That is why it is best to use the troubleshooting guide as a place to start. If you've ruled out all possibilities from the checklist, we can better help you.

pfogarty

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Fixed!!!! Got a guy at my work to have a look over it, he thought everything looked fine, we tinkered for an hour or so and then by chance changed the "mem ok" switch in the MOBO, now its running fine!

One thing however is not working, when I get to the BIOS it only recognizes one HD. I have a spin point and an SSD. Neither of the drives is broken as they are both recognized, however when they are both plugged in it'll only recognize one.

Im using the 800d with hot swappable drive bays, is there something im not considering here?